Ecobank Q1’20 Results – Lower loan recoveries mask gains in Nigeria

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Godspower

Apr 21, 2020
Ecobank Transnational Incorporated (ETI) recorded a 19.0% YoY decrease in earnings to $66.0 million in its unaudited Q1’20 result. The decline in earnings largely reflected a 67.0% fall in loan recoveries in the review period. Similarly, lower loan recoveries impacted net impairment losses on financial assets, which rose by 48.0% YoY.

Gross Earnings declined by -2.3% to N195bn from N199bn in the previous quarter.
Profit before tax declined by 11% to N33bn.
Profit after tax declined by 19.3% to N24.7bn.
Net Assets grew by 2.2% to N703bn from N688bn.

Pre-provision operating profit rose by 2.0% YoY (34.0% YoY in constant currency terms) in Q1’20, supported by a 21.0% YoY growth in net interest income. The increase in net interest income was supported by higher asset yield (+30 bps to 8.5%) and lower funding costs (-60 bps to 2.6%). Both operating revenue and operating expenses were relatively flat (+1.0% YoY, apiece). Cost to income ratio was flat at 66.0% (Q1’19: 66.2%), whereas the cost of risk rose 40 bps to 1.5%. All in, ROE came in lower at 13.5% from 16.9% in Q1’19.
Regional Highlights:

Francophone West Africa (UEMOA): Earnings for the region fell by 39.0% YoY in Q1’20, weighed by an 84.0% drop in loan recoveries. Elsewhere, pre-provision operating income came in flat (-1.0% YoY), as a 7.0% growth in net interest income was offset by a 9.0% decline in non-interest income. The cost to income was flat at 63.0% while the NPL ratio improved from 5.6% to 3.9%. Overall, ROE declined to 18.4% from 22.8% in December 2019

Nigeria: Earnings rose 2.6x during the quarter. The quarterly earnings were uplifted by a two-fold increase in net interest income, which offset the 70.0% decline in loan recoveries. Also, pre-provision earnings rose to $13.0 million from a loss of $10 million in Q1’19. Cost to income ratio improved to 81.9% from 119.3% in Q1’19, while NPL ratio moderated slightly to 23.3% (December 2019: 23.9%). Overall, ROE improved to 3.2% from 0.4% in December 2019

Anglophone West Africa (AWA): Earnings rose by 27.0% YoY in Q1’20, supported by a 16.0% growth in operating income. The higher operating income reflected 23.0% and 5.0% increases in net interest and non-interest incomes, respectively. Impairment charges came in flat year-on-year. Cost to income ratio eased to 47.8% (Q1’19: 49.0%), but NPL ratio rose to 8.4% from 7.7% in December 2019. Overall, ROE slowed to 27.9% from 30.1% in December 2019

Central, Eastern, and Southern Africa (CESA): Earnings weakened by 30.0% during the quarter, dragged by the 26.0% slump in non-interest income. Operating expenses rose 3.0% which, in addition to the 15.0% slowdown in operating income, resulted in a higher cost to income (60.1% vs 49.8% in Q1’19). NPL ratio rose slightly to 8.9% (December 2019: 8.4%), while ROE was relatively flat at 23.8% (December 2019: 23.6%).

Source:
Etim Pascal

Reactions: Edwin sylvester

Edwin sylvester

Apr 21, 2020
Yea... Thats why a good business plan is needed before taking one. The kind of plan that dangote makes. Lol
Mr D the business master planner. To think that d guy never went to a business school make me real reason these schools of a thing

FionaSmith

Sep 1, 2020
Choose a different repayment plan, such as extended repayment or income-based repayment.
Obtain a consolidation loan to combine multiple loans into a single loan.
Refinance to get a lower interest rate.
Claim the student loan interest deduction.

Reactions: Melvin

JosephInce51Uhw

Sep 14, 2020
I don't know if it is everywhere like that, but in my place the prices of everything went up. It is crazy I think that in time when people have no money for basic stuff, because they have lost their jobs, to put prices that high. I had to take a loan, there was no other option for me... The problem for me was that they would not give it to me that easily. I have tried few places and they rejected me, or they wanted to give me less money than I was asking. Best offer I got was on They gave me a little less than I asked for still, but that was the only good option for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenn40

Oct 9, 2020
I don't know if it is everywhere like that, but in my place the prices of everything went up. It is crazy I think that in time when people have no money for basic stuff, because they have lost their jobs, to put prices that high. I had to take a loan, there was no other option for me... The problem for me was that they would not give it to me that easily. I have tried few places and they rejected me, or they wanted to give me less money than I was asking. Best offer I got was on They gave me a little less than I asked for still, but that was the only good option for me.

Man, I hear you. I'm currently looking for smart ways to boost my loan approval chances in times of COVID-19.

Glenn40

Oct 9, 2020
Its seem this coronavirus has given a hard blow to people finances..I mean it's actually surprises me the extent at which hardship took a toll on everyone, I blame the lockdown measure

I’m terrified of what comes next, as new lockdown restrictions are introduced

Melvin

Apr 24, 2020
cwry.se
WEBSITE
https://cwry.se/@melvinyoungharry
YAHOO
Obelem53@yahoo.com
I’m terrified of what comes next, as new lockdown restrictions are introduced
The painful part is that some people are owing a lot of debts because of COVID-19.

Some people in my neighbourhood actually resorted to borrowing money from others who were also struggling with lockdown at that time, the biggest problem was decreased access to food

Michael.b95

Oct 11, 2020
It's not easy to choose a loan that's right for you :( They ask for collateral and frustrate you with forms.

Melvin

Apr 24, 2020
cwry.se
WEBSITE
https://cwry.se/@melvinyoungharry
YAHOO
Obelem53@yahoo.com
Sorry Michael, It must be really hard for you, but I don't know a lot of people are actually complaining about the same thing. I tried looking up some loan platforms to solve this problem but I didn't feel any were legit or would present accurate loan offer for people seeking them

Last edited: