More revelation by popular Nigerian music producer, Don Jazzy

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

LagosBwoi

Mar 16, 2021
Lagos
TWITTER
_ahyorhinde_
Don-Jazzy.jpg

In continuation of the Black Box Interview with Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, the popular Nigerian hitmaker reveals why he didn't sign some artists currently making waves in the music industry.
Michael Collins Ajereh, Don Jazzy, CEO of Mavins Records reveal some of his regrets in not signing these music artists. He tried to sign Folarin Falana, but there was no agreement on working conditions.
Don Jazzy said, “Regrets? I wish I signed Falz and Simi. Of course, the opportunity came; don’t say I turned them down. For Falz, the working situation wasn’t just right. I run a firm that could handle almost everything he needed.

“But I think he had like a management company set up already. It was like Tiwa Savage’s but I had to grow into that kind of scenario where I had to handle someone that had a record label, some blueprint process.”

He also said he didn't get to sign Simi, as she was a contestant on online competition Mavins records organized for a song released by D'Prince and Wande Coal.

“I didn’t reject Simi. I did a Twitter contest for ‘Journey of A Thousand Miles’ D’Prince’s record featuring Wande Coal. I loved her cover. She was one of the people that participated. She didn’t win, but she was high up there.

“I didn’t pick the winners. I liked her but you can’t sign anybody. That’s one person I also regretted; I won’t say regret, but I wish we worked on stuff together,”

Don Jazzy, who is known to make hitmakers with his outstanding music-producing skills, also said, when he met Teni, he was not buoyant enough to move her down to Nigeria, to begin a project with her.

“The same thing with Teni. We used to check up on each other. I had not grown to the point that I would move you from Atlanta to Nigeria for work. Now I can and we work before deciding if we are going to sign. Before I knew what was happening, there were faster.

“She released records and I was like, ‘okay, we lost that one. Three hot stars. It happened. The only person is David. I didn’t want to sign him but I knew he was going to be huge. They have money already now.”

He also spoke about the Mavin academy, where he has several young artists he works with until they attain the standard he wants, before releasing songs for them. He said there are about 50 of them, so far, working and earning at the same time. One of them is Ayra Starr, who recently released an EP, with the hot single, 'Away'.