Bruno Fernandes Reacts To Criticism Of His Manchester United Captaincy Style

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Bruno Fernandes has reacted to criticisms of his manner of leadership, as captain of Manchester United.

Fernandes expressed that everyone at the English club is “pretty happy” with his style of leadership.

Bruno Fernandes made it clear that his focus is on the team, and stressed that he has to do “what he thinks is best for the team”.

The Portuguese has been heavily criticized this campaign since he was handed the captaincy role ahead of the 2023/24 season.

Manchester United legend Roy Keane lambasted Fernandes for his attitude during the Red Devils' 3-0 loss to Manchester City in October 2023.

Kean was very critical of the midfielder's reaction to decisions and also countenance as he felt it looked defeatist.

Some Manchester United fans have complained over time about Bruno's petulant display during matches and that has been a turn-off for many.

However, Bruno Fernandes has in recent times also shown his leadership qualities, as during their league encounter against Everton, he handed the ball to Marcus Rashford, who had not scored since September to also get his name on the score sheet.

Additionally, during the post-match presser, whilst he was handed the man of the match award, he also gave it to Alejandro Garnacho, following his monstrous goal in the encounter.

Fernandes is a darling to many Manchester United supporters, as he has been remarkable for the club since his arrival in January 2020.

Bruno Fernandes joined the Red Devils from Sporting Lisbon on January 29, 2020, for a fee of €65 million.

The 29-year-old has scored 68 goals and provided 58 assists in 203 appearances for Manchester United across all competitions.

He has managed to assist the club in winning one trophy so far since his arrival, leading the club to the Carabao Cup title in February 2023.

Speaking on the criticisms he has received since he was made captain, Fernandes said: “No, obviously you don’t like to be criticized but at the same time I have to do what I think is the best for the team.

“It’s normal since I arrived at the club when I first arrived because you’re doing something different, it’s all flowers, but after those first games … the expectations are always higher and higher."

As aforementioned, he also stated that everyone at Manchester United is happy with his leadership.

He said: “Not keeping the same number on assists or goals sometimes is a problem for me in the criticism because they’re going to take from there, now it’s the captaincy, so they’re gonna focus on that.

“But I am open and so far everyone is pretty happy with my leadership."

Internationally, Bruno Fernandes has made 63 appearances for Portugal, scoring 19 goals and providing 18 assists in all competitions.

Fernandes will captain his side in their UEFA Champions League game against Galatasaray on Wednesday, November 29, 2023, as they hope to qualify from the group in the most challenging of circumstances.