Crystal Palace Announce Oliver Glasner as New Manager

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Crystal Palace have announced Oliver Glasner as the club's new manager succeeding Roy Hodgson.

The Eagles announced the appointment of Oliver Glasner, 49, as manager an hour after they confirmed the resignation of Roy Hodgson as manager.

Before the change of hands at the dugout at Selhurst Park, leaked reports revealed Crystal Palace are set to sack Roy Hodgson.

The report surfaced ahead of Crystal Palace's away Premier League trip to Everton. However, the club nibbed things in the bud apparently for fear of backlash following a sad report which revealed Roy Hodgson had collapsed while in Crystal Palace training.

Hodgson was reportedly hurried to the hospital with his assistant Paddy McCarthy taking charge until his return.

While Palace's original plan was to sack Hodgson, it is believed the club decided on a more amicable approach asking for the resignation of the 71-year-old a few days after he was confirmed stable following the medical emergency.

Roy Hodgson leaves Crystal Palace 16th on the Premier League with 24 points from 24 games with the club set for another hot battle to beat the drop. The English football veteran led Crystal Palace to only 6 wins in 24 matches.

While on the sick bed due to medical emergency, Crystal Palace had already contracted Oliver Glasner to take over from Hodgson.

On Monday, February 19, Hodgson announced his resignation stepping down after 12 months

In a statement shared by the club, he said;

''This club is very special and means so much to me and has played a big part in my footballing life. I have fully enjoyed my time here across six seasons, as it has given me the chance to work with top-class players and staff doing what I love every day.

''However, I understand, given recent circumstances, it may be prudent at this time for the club to plan ahead, and therefore I have taken the decision to step aside so that the club can bring forward their plans for a new manager, as intended for this summer."

Barely 60 minutes after Roy Hodgson confirmed his resignation, Crystal Palace announced Oliver Glasner as new manager.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/announcement/oliver-glasner-appointed-crystal-palace-manager/

Who is Oliver Glasner?

Oliver Glasner is an Austrian professional football manager and former player. Regarded as one of the finest Austrian football managers, Oliver Glasner started his managerial career with SV Reid in Austria before moving to Lask. He emerged into the spotlight when he led Lask to promotion to the Austrian elite division and led the club to Europe.

Glasner reached the peak of his managerial career in Germany coaching Wolfsburg and Eintracht Frankfurt.

He qualified the two Bundesliga clubs for Champions League and won the Europa League with Eintracht Frankfurt in 2022.