Euro 2024 Final: I’ve Never Spoken To Lionel Messi, Can’t Reach His Status – Lamine Yamal Says

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

David Adesina

Jul 12, 2024
Lamine Yamal has expressed that he has never spoken with Lionel Messi about the picture, which showed him being bathed by the Argentine great.

The picture which has gone viral across social media was taken in 2008 as part of the Barcelona Foundation solidarity calendar for that year.

It was done in collaboration with Spanish media outlet, Diario Sport alongside UNICEF and it included Lionel Messi, Lamine Yamal, and other players of the team at the time.

It was a special campaign done to raise funds for UNICEF and Barcelona Foundation childhood protection programs.

The picture came to the fore in recent weeks due to Yamal's magnificent display at the 2024 European Championship.

Lamine Yamal has been breathtaking with Spain at the tournament despite being 16 when La Roja played their opening group game against Croatia.

I Have Never Spoken With Lionel Messi About The Viral Picture - Lamine Yamal

Speaking after he was questioned about the picture by Spanish journalist, Gerard Romero, on Jijantes FC, Yamal said:

“I have never spoken to Messi about the photo where he was bathing me. At the time of the photo with Messi, I was not aware, obviously.

Lamine Yamal revealed that his father had kept the picture for him and they never shared it publicly in order for it not to elicit comparisons.

He added: “My father had it saved and we never brought it to light basically because of the issue of comparisons, which are never good.”

Yamal and Lionel Messi both broke into the limelight with Barcelona, with the former receiving comparisons with the Argentine due to his exploits.

I Can Never Be Like Messi - Yamal Says

However, Lamine Yamal has opted to pipe low, stressing that he will never be like the 37-year-old, and as such he isn't bothered about being compared to Messi.

The 17-year-old said: “No one is bothered by being compared to the best player in history.

“But those are things that remain because I will never be like him.”

Yamal clocked 17 today, July 13, 2024, and he will be hoping that he helps Spain with the 2024 European Championship, which will be a lovely birthday gift for him if it happens.

Lamine Yamal has been touted to do great things in his career, with Barcelona seeing him possibly as the successor to Lionel Messi.

Certainly, that is a big burden for the young lad to carry, given the immense heights that Messi has achieved in his career.

However, his development has impressed many and it can be said that if he continues burgeoning well then he could become another global football superstar.

Lamine Yamal In Euro 2024

Yamal has started the entirety of Spain's matches at Euro 2024, except their final group game against Albania, where he came on from the bench in the 72nd minute replacing Ferran Torres.

He is the youngest goalscorer in the history of the tournament, having scored a breathtaking goal during their clash against France, bringing them level in the 21st minute after Les Blues had gone in front through Kolo Muani 9 minutes into the game.

Lamine Yamal etched that record into the annals of history at the age of 16 and 362 days.

At age 16 and 338 days, Yamal also became the youngest player to feature at the tournament, having played in La Roja's opening game against Croatia.

Dani Olmo netted the 2nd for Spain against France, as Luis de la Fuente's side came from behind to silence the 2018 FIFA World Cup champions.

Ollie Watkins Hails Yamal

Moreover, England striker Ollie Watkins has poured encomiums on Lamine Yamal, tagging him as an “unbelievable talent”.

Watkins, who helped Gareth Southgate's side clinch a place in the final with a fabulous goal against the Netherlands made this comment in a presser ahead of their clash with Spain.

Ollie Watkins said: “He’s an unbelievable talent, everyone has seen what he can do. A generational talent.

“It’s not often you are scoring against France in the semi-final of the Euros when you’re 16. He’s got the world at his feet, he’s miles ahead of me when I was 16 or 17.”

Who Is Lamine Yamal?

Lamine Yamal was born on July 13, 2007, in Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain, And he functions primarily as a right winger.

His Market Value?

Yamal is a product of the Barcelona youth academy and his market value is €90 million according to Transfermkt.

Lamine Yamal’s Career Stats

The Spain international has made 51 club appearances thus far in his career, scoring 7 goals and providing 10 assists in all competitions.

Internationally, Lamine Yamal has made 13 appearances for Spain, scoring 3 goals and providing 7 assists.

Yamal’s Contract Details And Salary?

His current contract with Barcelona runs until June 30, 2026, and he is being paid about €40,000 per week by the Catalan giants.

Lamine Yamal’s Parents

Lamine Yamal is the son of Mounir Nasraoui (father) and Sheila Ebana (mother).

Yamal’s father is from Morocco, while his mother is from Equatorial Guinea.

Lamine Yamal’s Education

Meanwhile, Yamal passed his fourth ESO exam in June 2024, an educational milestone in Spain equivalent to a high school diploma in the United States or GCSEs in the United Kingdom.

It is uncertain if he will decide to further his education by continuing into Bachillerato, the final two years of high school education in Spain, or fully focusing on his burgeoning football career.

Bachillerato is the post-16 stage of education in Spain, comparable to the A Levels in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Spain battle England on Sunday, July 14, 2024, and they aim to submerge Gareth Southgate's side in the final of the Euro 2024.

Read More Here: https://futballnews.com/euro-2024-f...essi-cant-reach-his-status-lamine-yamal-says/