Former Napoli Star Unhappy With Reduced Playing Time At Bayern Munich

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Kim Min-Jae has expressed his feelings about his reduced playing time at Bayern Munich, following his move from Napoli in the summer of 2023.

Min-Jae joined the Munich-based club from Napoli on July 18, 2023, for a fee of €50 million.

Kim Min-Jae in his first few months at Bayern Munich was scared for his position in the starting XI and during an interview, he shared how his confidence level had dropped significantly.

He said: "I still don't feel confident that I'm a regular player.

The defender talked about his position in the team, given his engagements at the Asian Cup with South Korea, expressing that if a player played well in his absence, he might lose his spot in Bayern Munich's first 11.

The former Fenerbahce man said: “During the tournament, I will have to make my place available at Bayern.

“If another player plays well in my absence, he will continue to receive the trust. That's the inevitable reality. So when I return, I'll have to continue fighting for my place.”

This has obviously become a new reality, with Kim Min-Jae experiencing a drop in his playing time since VFL Bochum defeated the Bavarians on February 9, 2024.

Min-Jae has only started one game since then, and the encounter ended with Bayern Munich playing out a 2-2 draw with Freiburg.

He played just 9 minutes in the previous game before that, while he was left on the bench for their 3-0 win over Lazio at the Allianz Arena.

Kim Min-Jae also amassed just 15 minutes under his belt in Bayern Munich's 8-1 smashing win over Mainz 05 on March 9, 2024.

Additionally, on March 16, 2024, the 27-year-old was left on the bench for Thomas Tuchel's 5-2 cracking win over SV Darmstadt.

Speaking on his reduced playing time in recent matches, Kim Min-Jae said: “I've never experienced being on the bench so often before, but I think I can learn something from it”.

“I'm thinking a lot at the moment. I also played many games but there are so many good players at Bayern, so it can happen that I don't play.”

The South Korean defender has made 28 appearances for Bayern Munich since his arrival, scoring 1 goal and providing 2 assists in all competitions.

Kim Min-Jae has had a pretty successful career, winning several trophies including; 1 Serie A title, 2 K Leagues, and 1 EAFF Championship.

Min-Jae is widely regarded as one of the best defenders in the world, and he is nicknamed the “Monster”, due to his outstanding defensive abilities.

Kim Min-Jae has made 249 club appearances, scoring 7 goals and providing 5 assists in all competitions.

Internationally, the center-back has made 61 appearances, scoring 4 goals and providing 4 assists.