How To Identify Fake Job Offers And Interview

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 5, 2020
ATTENTION PLEASE!!! �

Please be very careful when applying for jobs. Here is a list of what to look out for:

�Don't apply for jobs where they are requesting your pictures but won't specify more details about the job.

� *Ladies! DON'T EVER GO to an interview at a Hotel unless you applied for a Job at a Hotel*.

�Anything that's too good to be true, it really is. Any company offering a high salary for an Entry-level Job is a red flag.

� *Please inform your family should you go out for an interview. Give them all details in case something happens to you*.

�Avoid going for an Interview Alone, Especially women, its no longer safe out there and nothing can be trusted. It's always best to be safe than sorry.

� *Don't pay any fee to get a Job, if a Fee is required during applications or interview, just know that it's a SCAM!*

We wish you all the best in your job seeking journey,

Stay safe and secure �

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 5, 2020
If you live in Nigeria and you are looking for a job. Please be careful lots of job scams are out there.

Adewale Stock

Administrator
Apr 15, 2020
Hubforjobs is doing a good job getting employees to employers and they are making them a good match. Something that Jobberman couldn't do. The unemployment rate in Nigeria is so high and someone needs to do something about it and now.

Adewale Stock

Administrator
Apr 15, 2020
There are many job sites in Nigeria but Hubforjobs provides the best experience. When it comes to a user-friendly website, Hubforjobs is the place to go to find financial jobs, tech jobs in Nigeria, and many other professional jobs.

DinoOmoAle

Feb 28, 2023
If are a Nigerian job seeker and then you have to be careful and do not just go to any job interview that appears sketchy. Kidnapping are common so make sure you only go to a verified jobs spot. Do only research about any Nigerian companies that want to hire you. Speak with them on the phone and then get their contact. Share their contact with your family member and share you notification location with your friends of you feel unsafe at any time. Speak out,

DinoOmoAle

Feb 28, 2023
This is what a lot of people are saying all over the word web about job scams in Nigeria.

"
I have seen so many Nairalanders complaining and lamenting their ordeal in the hands of fake scam companies who invite people for interview only to introduce them to fake drug marketing business.
I'm doing this not only because these companies waste people's time, energy and T-fair going to such interviews, but also because most of these scammers extort money from hapless job seekers thereby making their suffering times two.
Imagine a scammer extorting #10,500 from a graduate who have been unemployed for years, not to talk of the transport fare wasted going to such fruitless interviews or job chat as they usually call it.
Some people even borrow money to pay these sheep in wolves clothing, who promise them heaven on earth. Some will tell you that you will make half a million within 1 month and all that. If you're not careful, you will take a loan that you will not be able to repay thus causing embarrassment and lack of rest of mind. An unemployed person should have only himself to worry about, not having debts also.

So I believe that if we are properly guided, we will not fall into the hands of these scammers.
Having said that, there are ways by which one can identify a fake or scam interview invitation and there fore avoid such waste of time and money. The good thing is that most of their messages come in the same format, so you will know its fake!

1. The message does not bear a company name: most of these scammers won't include their names on the message you will receive. All you will see are the address, the time and date and a phone number. A genuine company will not hide its identity from a potential employee.

2. The message will say "interview/job briefing": whatever job briefing means I don't know!
3. You will see a code or reference: something like "HR=0056" or "REF=002". This is an indication of the code number of the person who invited you to the "job briefing".
4. It will contain a phone number: this is the number of your referer. Most genuine companies don't give phone numbers.
5. You will see HR Admin in the message instead of company name
6. If you call their number, they will be reluctant to give info on the company.

And pls, ignore those people sharing job flyers on the streets, and those ones they paste on walls. Those are scammers and some ritualists too. And also most of these so called agencies are avenues for duping unsuspecting job seekers. Pls shine your eyes well well.
I will post the names of some of these fake companies/ agencies later.

Pls if you have any experiences inthe hands of these scammers kindly share it here so that others can learn and avoid them too. Thank you

DinoOmoAle

Feb 28, 2023
According to research, here are the top 10 job scams that you should watch out for.

1. The recruiter contacts you​

One warning sign that a job offer may be illegitimate is that the hiring manager or employer makes contact with you first, usually by stating that they found your resume online or through an email. While this trait in itself doesn't necessarily mean a job opportunity is a scam, if you receive a job offer right away, there are unusual requests or there are additional warning signs from this list, it could be a fake meant to obtain your personal information.

2. You receive a job offer right away​

Receiving a job offer right away without having applied to an open position, spoken with a hiring manager or participated in an interview can be a huge red flag. An immediate offer to work for an organization combined with the fact that you didn't contact the company first can mean the job opportunity isn't as legitimate as it seems.

3. The pay is extremely high​

If you notice that the description mentions an unusually high-income level for the position, it may be a warning sign. For instance, if a job description states the employer will pay an annual salary of $75,000 for only 15 to 20 hours per week for an entry-level role, it could be a sign to look into the company and position further before applying.

4. The schedule seems too flexible​

While many career opportunities provide flexible work hours and schedules that promote a healthy work-life balance, if a job appears to be just a little too flexible, it could be another warning sign. Especially combined with unusually high pay, an unconventional schedule can point to something too good to be true.

For example, an opportunity that promises you'll only have to work one or two days per week while still earning an unusually high income should get you investigating further before you send in your resume.

Related: What Is a Flex Schedule? Definition and How It Works

5. Job requirements and description are vague​

Real job opportunities have quite specific job details and requirements that you'll always see in a description. However, in illegitimate job offerings, you may notice that the details and requirements are quite vague. For instance, be careful of job offers that only require candidates to be of legal age, be literate, be able to type and other simple and other ambiguous criteria that pretty much anyone could qualify for.

6. The company requires payment from you​

Be careful of any company, recruiter or job offer that requires a form of payment from you. No legitimate job opportunity will require you to pay to work for the company. While you should budget any expenses related to your job search—like gas for travel or professional attire—you should never have to pay for an opportunity to interview or accept a job.

7. The job promises that you'll get wealthy fast​

If you notice that a job opportunity promises that you'll be able to build wealth quickly or get extremely rich within a month, it's a likely warning sign that the job you're after isn't genuine. Look more into the compensation system of the company, and if you can't find any additional information on the details of the payment schedule, it's best to assume it's a fake and continue on your search.

8. Communication appears unprofessional​

Another big warning sign that a job may be illegitimate is unprofessional communication. For example, in a job offer email, look for inconsistencies in grammar, syntax and how the employer or recruiter communicates with you in writing. If it feels more than a little unprofessional, consider researching the position further and find out more about the company.

9. Contact information for the employer or company is missing​

In addition to unprofessional communication, many fake job opportunities tend to have missing contact information or vague details about the organization. If you notice the company's information is missing, try an internet search to find a company website or email address. If you still cannot find basic information about the company's location, staff members or other details, you may want to continue onto your next opportunity.

10. A company requests confidential information before hiring​

When a company hires new employees, it's usually a requirement to fill out tax documents, submit bank information for direct deposit and other processes that require confidential and personal information. However, this only becomes necessary once you sign an employer's offer and start your new job.

If a recruiter or employer asks for any personal information aside from your basic contact information, such as your Social Security number or bank account number, take this as a sign to avoid this company in favor of a real job opportunity.

DinoOmoAle

Feb 28, 2023
Applicants should just be very careful irrespective of the channel used.

Some BiG Companies are still backward in technology.

Thus, they still adopt obsolete means. . this is also what someone said about job seeker scam or job posting scam. And it's true, always be careful regardless of he company.

DinoOmoAle

Feb 28, 2023
Many companies no longer use gmail or yahoomail to receive applications from prospective applicants but a corporate mail. Eg recruitment@gtbank.com. In this 21st century, any company that can't afford a corporate email is probably a sham. I receive a lot of spam mails whenever I apply for a job using private mails.

DinoOmoAle

Feb 28, 2023
Dem don upgrade ooo wit company namee. Still got one dis evenin. New age. Nigeria ltd.
grin
meanwike dem send me 1 3days agoo. Same company diff pone number and reff number, infact i got like 10 invitation from all dis stupid gnld pple dis last week thank God for google,i do find out the coy name and adress to see if they are real

DinoOmoAle

Feb 28, 2023
Most times these scammers also send you a message just a day to the supposed "job briefing","Interview/test so that you won't have enough time to think or ask questions!

DinoOmoAle

Feb 28, 2023
Those scam messages are very easy to spot especially the ones with grammatical error or silly phone numbers to call. I've gotten some text messages from Ryt telecom, Oneal welness and M.R.C. Immediately i get such messages, i delete them because no time to check time.
cool

By the way, all those you are invited for a chat looks funny to me...chat kor, face to face talk ni.
cheesy
cheesy
cheesy

grammar error doesn't always mean that the job is scam though. Most Nigerians don't know how to spell well or they do not take their time to make sure they proof read what they write. This will not always means that the job is a scam.

DinoOmoAle

Feb 28, 2023
Good morning mates, I went to one like that and they wasted all my time just to inform that they are into druG. The most annoying thing is that the guy gave us his pics to be looking at that its the company that sent him and his wife abroad after a year that he joined the organization. He said is after we filled the form, we can asked questions. It was a very awkward moment for me cos I was very annoyed.

so we are making a compilation of jobs that maybe fake.