I stopped my son from playing chess cause I wanted him to be a doctor - Tunde Onakoya's father reveals

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Screenshot-2024-04-24-5.31.01-PM.jpg

Father of Nigerian chess champion and Guinness World Record holder, Tunde Onakoya reveals how he stopped his son from playing chess when he was young because he wanted him to become a medical doctor.

The founder of Chess In Slums, Tunde Onakoya who just broke the Guinness World Record for the longest unbeaten chess marathon by 60 hours in Times Square, New York was given a befitting welcome in Nigeria yesterday.

Tunde Onakoya returned home yesterday after playing chess for 60 hours non-stop to raise funds for the education of millions of children. Tunde Onakoya's goal was to raise a million dollars to actualize the dream of the common child. Despite his inability to reach the 1 million dollar target, he received a whopping 100,000 dollars.

Speaking to City Edge TV during his son's homecoming ceremony, Tunde Onakoya's father described him as a relentless and highly focused individual. One of Tunde Onakoya's rare qualities is that he doesn't quit unless he gets what he wants.

Recalling how he stopped him from playing chess in his early years, he said he always wanted him to be a medical doctor but he never knew he would become this successful with chess. He advised parents always to support their children's dreams and never discourage them from doing what they love best.