I'm an Afrobeats artist but don't call my song Afrobeats when I make pop music, Joeboy backs Wizkid's claims

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Collage-Maker-15-Jun-2023-09-42-PM-8223.jpg

Nigerian singer Joseph Akinwale popularly known as Joeboy backs his senior colleague Wizkid as he speaks on the Afrobeats label.

In a recent interview hosted by BBN's Tacha, Joeboy said since he is an African, every song he makes would be termed as Afrobeats but he could make pop, RnB, or even dance hall. He explained that it is unfair for him to make a hip-hop track and label it Afrobeats.

"Afrobeats is still the umbrella but I feel music is so dynamic that you can't really box it into one area or one spot. I'm an Afrobeats artist by identity but it doesn't mean when I make RnB or dance hall, they should call it Afrobeats", Joeboy said.

He mentioned that Afrobeats has so much influence that even if he makes another genre of music, there will be an element of Afrobeats in it.