Kalvin Philips' Nightmare Start to Life At West Ham Continues With Another Costly Error Vs Manchester United

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Kalvin Philips has continued on his nightmare start to life at West Ham United as he drops another stinker in his second appearance for the club against Manchester United.

The Hammers clattered to a resounding loss at Old Trafford. Goals from Rasmus Hojlund and Alejandro Garnacho condemned the East London outfit to a 3-0 defeat.

Kalvin Philips started from the bench in the game, coming on as a second-half substitute for Vladimir Coufal. Alejandro Garnacho had doubled the lead for Manchester United when David Moyes brought on the Manchester City loanee in an attempt to have the team claw their charges back into the game.

A few minutes after coming on, Kalvin Philips was caught out with a blunder that saw United score their third goal and cement the lead.

The England star got a pass from his teammate Ben Johnson. Trying to offload the ball, he was dispossessed by Scott McTominay, who quickly played in Alejandro Garnacho to score United's third goal.

A dejected Philips found himself at a loss after his clanger of a performance led to the third goal by the home side.

Manchester United legend and pundit Roy Keane blamed Philips for the goal. Keane said Philips was 'sluggish' with the ball before being caught up by Manchester United's pacey momentum.

"And then listen Phillips, I don't know what he's trying.' He said on Sky Sports.

''The way I look at it, he's sluggish. But you've got to get punished and I think McTominay does really well here because it's just a nice weighted pass, three nil.

''I just think he comes at the wrong angle. We can make excuses for him but he's come at the wrong angle trying to shield people. Credit to McTominay, nice and aggressive. Game over,' Kean said.

The incident was the second time Kalvin Philips has committed a costly error leading to a goal against West Ham after joining the club in January from Manchester City. In his debut for the Hammers against Bournemouth, Philips' error led to Bournemouth's goal. His pass was intercepted by Dominic Solanke who went on to score for Andoni Iraola's side.

Kalvin Philips' struggle to adapt to life in East London draws parallel with his 18-month deadlock at Etihad with Manchester City. The former Leeds United sensation crashed down the pecking order in Pep Guardiola's midfield options for Manchester City, hence the decision to loan him to West Ham.

Notably, Philips started the Bournemouth match on his West Ham debut and was dropped to the bench against Manchester United. He is more likely to suffer a heavy setback in his career should his stuttering start to life with the Hammers continue.