Manuel Neuer Announces Retirement From International Football At Age 38

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

David Adesina

Jul 12, 2024
Manuel Neuer has announced his retirement from international football at the age of 38, over a month after representing Germany at Euro 2024.

Neuer revealed his decision to retire from international football via a video posted on his Instagram account.

Manuel Neuer explained that it was a difficult choice for him to make, but claimed that he is thankful and proud to have been handed the opportunity.

The Bayern Munich shot-stopper said: “The day had to come at some point. Anyone who knows me knows that this decision wasn't easy for me.

“It's been over 15 years since my debut, when we played in the United Arab Emirates and I was extremely nervous.”

Neuer also asserted that he loved representing Germany, and sent his appreciation to everyone he has worked with in the national team.

He said: “When I look back today, it fills me with pride and also with a lot of gratitude to have been on the pitch with all my teammates and also to have been captain of the German national football team for over seven years.

“Personally, I loved wearing the German national team jersey. Thank you very much for that.”

Manuel Neuer made his debut for the national team of Germany on July 2, 2009, in a game against the United Arab Emirates.

Die Mannschaft came out victorious in the encounter (7-2), however, Neuer didn't keep a clean sheet against the Asian nation.

Manuel Neuer was handed his debut by erstwhile Germany boss Joachim Low and he went on to make 124 appearances for the country, keeping 51 clean sheets.

The 38-year-old is the most capped goalkeeper in the country's history, as he manned the goal post of Germany for over a decade.

Neuer was instrumental to Die Mannschaft winning the 2014 FIFA World Cup, as he was stellar in goal and pulled up several top saves all through the tournament.

Manuel Neuer’s magnificent showing resulted in him claiming the Golden Glove of the tournament, as Germany submerged Argentina 1-0 in the final to win the competition.

The football great was present at the 2010 FIFA World Cup, where Germany claimed the Bronze medal alongside the 2018 and 2022 editions, where Die Mannschaft suffered group stage exits.

Additionally, Neuer represented Germany at the 2012, 2016, 2020 and 2024 UEFA European Championships.

Meanwhile Manuel Neuer will turn his attention primarily to club football, although he could also announce his retirement from the round leather game in the next few years.

Neuer’s current contract with Bayern Munich expires in the summer of 2025, having penned a contract extension in November 2023.

It is uncertain if he will renew his contract at the end of the 2024/24 season or possibly decide to hang up his boots.

Manuel Neuer has won several trophies in his career, including; 2 UEFA Champions League titles, 11 German Bundesliga crowns, 2 FIFA Club World Cup, 2 Super Cup and 6 DFB-POKAL.

Neuer has played for just 2 clubs in his career, namely; Schalke 04 and Bayern Munich. He joined the latter from the former on July 1, 2011, for a fee of €30 million.

Manuel Neuer has made 725 club appearances thus far in his career, recording 325 clean sheets.

Read More Here: https://futballnews.com/manuel-neuer-announces-retirement-from-international-football-at-age-38/