Maurizio Sarri Resigns From Serie A Giants SSC Lazio

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Maurizio Sarri has resigned as manager of Italian side SSC Lazio, following a run of poor results.

Sarri informed the club of his decision to exit the Stadio Olimpico after defeats to Udinese in the Serie A and Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League.

The Eagles have suffered defeats in their last four matches, losing to Fiorentina, AC Milan, and their recent losses which led to Maurizio Sarri's departure.

Due to the horrendous run of form, Lazio have slumped to 9th on the Serie A table, with 40 points from 28 matches.

The managerless side finished 2nd in the Italian top-tier league table last campaign, and they were looking at improving their fortunes this season.

Unfortunately, their season hasn't lit up thus far, with their form currently in the abyss as they hope for resurrection and quaking redemption.

During the previous week, Maurizio Sarri whilst speaking in a presser gave a pointer that he could be exiting Lazio before the one-year left on his deal expires.

Sarri told reporters: “I have another year left on my contract but my time at Lazio could be up before that.

“The squad isn’t very young, something must be done.”

SSC Lazio are yet to confirm the reports of Maurizio Sarri's departure, with the team claiming on March 7, 2024, that reports on the Italian's departure are false.

Napoli wrote: “All links with other coaches are not true as we are happy with Maurizio Sarri”.

“Rumours are fake as we gave our total trust to Sarri, under contract June 2025”.

However, it appears like Sarri's time in Rome is over, with his body language before their recent defeat spelling a man who wants to exit.

Based on reports from Italian media outlet, Football Italia, Maurizio Sarri was quoted to have informed Lazio players of his decision to resign, citing that his players had downed tools.

He said: “I saw that you are not with me anymore, some of you are too different from what we saw last season.

“I have decided to resign. If I am the problem, then I will step aside, so you can shake up this season.”

Sarri, who was on the good books of the fans last season, was booed on many occasions this campaign before his exit.

Maurizio Sarri became manager of Lazio on June 9, 2021, and he has taken charge of the Serie A giants in 137 matches - winning 65, drawing 30, and losing 42.

It is uncertain what the future holds for Sarri if he will take a break from the beautiful game or join a long list of managers beckoning for a top coaching job.

Anyway, Lazio return to action on Saturday, March 16, 2024, facing Frosinone, and it will be fascinating to see if Maurizio Sarri will be in the dugout, given that his exit hasn't been confirmed by The Eagles.