Nike And England FA Have No Interest In Changing The Controversial New England Jersey

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Nike And the England Football Association have shown no interest in recalling the controversial new kit for Euro 2024.

Different sources claimed that the change made to St. George's flag was a nod to the England 1966 World Cup-winning squad.

Many fans and commentators reacted to the shocking change, which saw the traditional red cross getting replaced by one cross featuring navy, light blue, and purple.

Some fans had demanded that the traditional Red Cross be returned.

However, Nike had decided not to alter the England jersey, which is said to have flown off the shelves since it was released on March 17, 2024.

A Nike spokesman said, "The England 2024 Home kit disrupts history with a modern take on a classic. The trim on the cuffs takes its cues from the training gear worn by England’s 1966 heroes, with a gradient of blues and reds topped with purple."

"The same colors also feature an interpretation of the flag of St. George on the back of the collar. The shirt also has the full backing of the FA, who are understood to completely stand by it."

The English FA had failed to disclose which department was involved in the signing off of the jersey, but it was deemed to honor the color regime of the 1966 training gear of the Three Lions.

The kit was agreed upon and entered the production cycle two years ago. Even if any attempt is made to make any changes to the newly created jersey, it will take six months before it gets changed and distributed.

How the Fans Reacted to the New Three Lions Jersey Ahead of the 2024 Euros Tournament

The fans' comments on social media included "avoid, too woke, too expensive, embarrassing, disgraceful, 'horrendous, and 'Nike Football should sack anyone complicit with this idea."

Apart from the fans, various politicians criticized the design, including Clarke-Smith, who told the Daily Express that "Maybe somebody in the design department misheard Three Lions and instead went for three lines on a shirt."

"I'm not sure what this is supposed to be, but it certainly looks nothing like our flag, and I'm not sure it needs an update either. That said, I doubt they'll shift many at those sorts of prices."

Another UK politician named Lee Anderson also spoke to the Express, saying, "This virtue-signaling, namby-pamby, pearl-clutching woke nonsense must stop. Any more of this, and I'll be on the first flight to Rwanda."

Other people referred to the change in the England jersey as "bullsh*t".

Meanwhile, the England squad are preparing for the friendly match against Brazil on March 23 and against Belgium on March 26, 2024.

What do you think about England's new kit for the Euro 2024? Air your views in the comments section.