Pirates hijack boats in Rivers State

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Two boats have been hijacked by pirates yesterday 6th of June 2023, along the Abonema-Kula waterway both in the Akuku-Toru Local Government Area of Rivers state.

The boats which contained 12 passengers each were captured by pirates in the middle of the river. Amidst all of these, a female passenger was reported dead while some jumped into the river as a way of escape.

The Chairman of the Nigeria Maritime Workers Union, Israel Pepple, addressed the incident on Tuesday saying, "My unit chairman in Abonema and that of the Kula unit called to my attention that two of their boats were hijacked by pirates.

The information they gave us initially was that a lady was also taken away out of the 24 passengers.

But around noon, they called back to inform me that the lady was dead and that she was floating on the water.

They later went and carried her corpse. As I speak with you, her corpse is in Abonema and they have reported the matter to the Marine Police in Abonema."

Investigation is still ongoing in order to get the pirates apprehended.