Roy Hodgson Assures Palace Fans Of Capability To Get Them Out Of Doldrums As Confidence In His Mettle Grows Thin

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Roy Hodgson has expressed that he has the “strength and resilience” to turn the team's poor form for the better after their loss to rivals Brighton and Hove Albion.

Crystal Palace were hammered 4-1 by the Seagulls on Saturday, February 3, 2024, and they have only picked up victories in 4 of their last 17 league matches.

Hodgson appears to be getting the sticks of the fans, with Brighton supporters taunting him at the Amex Stadium.

Meanwhile, fans of the Eagles also displayed a banner showing their discontent with the club and their performances in recent months.

Speaking concerning his ability to take the club back to positive fortunes, Roy Hodgson said: “My years in the game have given me the resilience to cope.

“Of course, taunts from away supporters are part and parcel of our lives.

“At the moment our own fans aren't very happy with anything that's going on at the club and they're making their feelings known as well.

“I signed up to be manager of this football club and I have got the strength, the resilience, and the determination to see things through. I'm certainly not going to be cowed by that type of thing.”

Crystal Palace defeated Sheffield United 3-2 in the FA Cup during midweek with Michael Olise and Eberechi Eze showing their brilliance in the encounter.

However, the two players had to be withdrawn from the game due to injury and that also affected team selection for the trip to the Amex Stadium.

Eberechi Eze wasn't fit enough for a place in the squad for the clash against Roberto De Zerbi's side while Michael Olise started from the bench.

Olise was brought on in the 46th minute for Jeffery Schlupp, but the Frenchman only lasted 10 minutes before he was substituted due to a hamstring problem.

Speaking concerning the recurrent hamstring injury which Michael Olise suffered in the game, Roy Hodgson said:

“I was told that he couldn't start the game and everyone was quite comfortable with that.

“They told me and he told me that he was fine to be on the bench and to play in the second half. Unfortunately, I don't have a crystal ball.”

The injury to Olise came after Crystal Palace had also seen Marc Guehi substituted in the first half due to a knee injury.

The clash against Brighton made it the second time this term that supporters have shown banners expressing their displeasure at how the club is being handled.

In January 2024, fans of the Eagles also hoisted a banner during the 5-0 embarrassing loss to Arsenal.

Roy Hodgson has had two stints as manager of Crystal Palace, with this being the second and reports are indicating that the 76-year-old could be ousted before the expiration of the campaign, with confidence in his abilities growing thin.