Roy Hodgson Shrugs Off “Disrespectful” Steve Cooper Managerial Rumors

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Roy Hodgson has squashed talks that his managerial position at Crystal Palace is under severe threat.

Hodgson termed those speculations as “disrespectful”, with reports claiming that he could be replaced by former Swansea City boss Steve Cooper.

Crystal Palace put an end to a run of 8 matches without a victory, when they secured a 3-1 win over Brentford at Selhurst Park on December 30, 2023.

Reports had initially indicated that Roy Hodgson could have been dismissed if the Eagles failed to win the game against Brentford.

Speaking on the rumors that he could be replaced by Cooper, Hodgson expressed that it was of “no interest to me at all”

The 76-year-old added that those talks are also “disrespectful”, saying “to suggest that it should is disrespectful”

Additionally, Roy Hodgson spoke about his years of service in English football and how he has an incredible “CV”.

The Englishman said: “I'm 76 years of age. I've been working 47 years, I've got a CBE for my services and I've got a CV which is incredible.

“So my final answer to you is that it makes no difference.”

Crystal Palace's victory at Selhurst Park over Thomas Frank's Brentford was their first win on their home turf since September 3, 2023.

The Eagles secured a comfortable win courtesy of a brace from Michael Olise on either side of Eberechi Eze's goal.

Olise's performance was remarkable, as he took his tally to 5 goals and 7 assists in his previous 16 Premier League starts.

The 22-year-old appeared to have suffered a knock in the dying embers of the game, but manager Hodgson has poured cold water on the injury.

Roy Hodgson said: "I spoke to him [Olise] and he didn't seem overly concerned.

“I spoke to the doctor and he wasn't sort of shaking his head suggesting he needs a scan tomorrow, or we will have to fear the worst. He wasn't doing that.

“Of course, we won't know until he gets back into training and we assess him and look at it. But it would be really, really unlucky and I don't think it was a major snapping or muscle.”

Michael Olise joined Crystal Palace on July 8, 2021, for a fee of €9.3 million, and he has scored 11 goals and provided 20 assists in 80 appearances for the club.

He was linked with a move away from the club in the summer, with Chelsea and Manchester City keen on acquiring his services.

However, he penned a contract extension with Crystal Palace in August 2023, and that means that any club interested in signing the attacker will have to cough out a significant amount to get his services.

He has represented severa top clubs thus far in his career particularly at the junior level, including; Arsenal, Manchester City, and Chelsea.