Roy Hodgson Steps Down As Crystal Palace Manager Following Two Stints

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Roy Hodgson has stepped down as manager of Crystal Palace, days following his admission to a hospital after he was “taken ill” during training.

Hodgson's departure was to enable the Eagles to “bring forward their plans to appoint a new manager”.

Subsequently, Crystal Palace have appointed former Eintracht Frankfurt gaffer Oliver Glasner as his replacement.

Roy Hodgson took ill amidst reports claiming that the Englishman was to be fired due to intense criticisms from the fans, with the London side sitting 5 points off the drop zone with 24 matches played.

Speaking after stepping down as coach of Crystal Palace, Roy Hodgson expressed that given recent happenings, it may be worthy for the club to plan for the future.

He said: “I have fully enjoyed my time here across six seasons, as it has given me the chance to work with top-class players and staff doing what I love every day.

“However, I understand, given recent circumstances, it may be prudent at this time for the club to plan ahead, and therefore I have taken the decision to step aside so that the club can bring forward their plans for a new manager, as intended for this summer.”

The 76-year-old added that he is “confident that the season will finish well” and he wished the club all the best for the coming “weeks, months, and seasons”.

Crystal Palace also confirmed that Roy Hodgson is now out of hospital and in good condition.

Chairman of the English club, Steve Parish, also spoke highly of Hodgson and his contributions over the years to the Eagles.

Parish said: “Roy has a special place in Crystal Palace history and this will never be forgotten.

“After four years in which he led the club to maintaining Premier League status season after season, he once again joined us nearly a year ago to steady the ship, and worked wonders.

Steve Parish also appreciated the former Fulham boss and said that Roy Hodgson “will always be welcomed back.”

He added: "I would like to thank Roy enormously for his service and wish him the very best for the future; it's fair to say Roy has the keys to Selhurst Park and will always be welcomed back.”

Meanwhile, Crystal Palace also shared that Paddy McCarthy and Ray Lewington will handle the team for the match against Everton at Goodison Park on February 19, 2024.

The Eagles sit 16th on the Premier League table, with 24 points from 24 league matches.

Crystal Palace will be hoping that the appointment of Oliver Glasner will lead the club to positive fortunes.

They have picked up just 2 wins in their last 15 matches across all competitions, losing 9 games and drawing 4.

Glasner has had an impressive managerial career, winning 3 trophies namely; 2 Austrian Cups and 1 UEFA Europa League.

Moreover, Roy Hodgson has also had a remarkable career, which has spanned 48 years, with the former England boss still not lifting the lid on when he would retire.

Hodgson began his managerial career in 1976, managing Swedish club Halmstad and he has coached 18 teams cumulatively in his career and 4 countries - England, Finland, Switzerland, and the United Arab Emirates.

Roy Hodgson has won 15 major trophies thus far, including; 2 Swedish league titles, 1 Danish Superliga, and 1 Swiss Super Cup.