Sir Elton John Reveals How He Became Watford Owners And His Love For The Club

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Former Watford chairman Sir Elton John revealed in his latest interview that his biggest achievement for Watford was the appointment of manager Graham Taylor.

Despite being a former chairman, Sir Elton John still finds joy in supporting the football team.

The music legend bought the Championship club in 1976 alongside the manager, Graham Taylor.
0A72CBB7-E8E9-418F-89C5-650EDC685860.jpeg

Watford were uplifted from the Football League into finishing second in the top flight, playing in the Champions League, and getting into the Finals of the FA Cup.

John sold the club in 1990 and bought them back in 1997, then stepped down in 2002 as the chairman of the football club.

During Elton John's second spell as chairman of Watford, they got Premier League promotion twice.

How Elton John Became a Watford Football Fan

In his latest interview with England's great Gary Lineker, Elton John said, "My dad brought me here when I was five or six, but I also used to sit on the touchline at Craven Cottage."

"My cousin Roy Dwight played for Fulham on the same team as Jimmy Hill, Bedford Jezzard, Johnny Haynes, and Tony Macedo."

"I grew up watching Fulham a lot, but this is my local team. When Roy went to Nottingham Forest, I concentrated on this place."

"I can't tell you how much pleasure this club has given me. I get very emotional when I think about it."

How Sir Elton John Became the Owner of the Championship Side Watford

The musician also revealed how he became the chairman of the club, starting with the organisation of a concert that was meant to raise funds for the football club.

Sir Elton John said the chairman then was "Jim Bonser," who was heavily abused by the fans and was looking forward to selling the club.

Sir John made an offer that he couldn't reject. After accepting the offer, the singer proceeded to becoming chairman and director of the club.

The music legend said, "I was so determined to do something other than what I'd been doing, totally different from what I'd been doing.

"In what I do, I'm surrounded by a lot of sycophants.

"This was where I came from; I lived six miles up the road."

Who is Sir Elton John?
The legendary musician was born on March 25, 1947.

He is currently 76 years old. Elton John had been present since 1962 with his beautiful pianos.

Sir Elton John is currently in a relationship with David Furnish; they got married in 2014.

His genres of music are rock, pop rock, glam rock, soft rock, and blues.

In 1969, the musician released his debut album, Empty Sky, and later that year, he released his hit song, "Your Song."