Son Heung-min Apologises To Fans As South Korea Are Dumped Out Of The Asian Cup

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Son Heung-min has apologized to fans after South Korea crashed out of the Asian Cup following an embarrassing 2-0 semi-final defeat against Jordan on Tuesday, February 6.

The Tottenham Hotspur forward said he was devastated by the defeat ending the nation's hope of winning a major trophy since 1960.

What happened?

Son Heung-Min had been captaining South Korea at the Asian Cup tournament and was looking to win a major trophy with his country but things didn't go according to plan for the former Bayer Leverkusen winger.

South Korea had reached the semi-final of the tournament, where they faced Jordan.

Jurgen Klinsmann's men were the favorites heading into the semi-final contest but surrendered to a setback in the end despite their dominance inside Qatar's Ahmed bin Ali Stadium.

South Korea had 70% ball possession but could not make their chances count as they gathered just eight shots compared to 17 registered by their opponents with Yazan Al-Naimat and Musa Al-Taamari snatching second-half goals.

Jordan reached the final of the Asian Cup for the first time in their history and the result is made all the more remarkable by the fact they currently sit in 87th position in FIFA's world rankings.

Son, on the other hand, is yet to see a breakthrough on the international level after finishing as a runner-up at the 2015 Asian Cup tournament.

Speaking after their embarrassing defeat, the 31-year-old South Korea captain said; "I don't know what to say really. I am so sorry".

"The players did their best. I'm very sorry that the game ended like this by mistake".

"The fans showed great support for us, I'm sorry that we couldn't deliver as our fans expected".

He added: "I'll try harder so that the national team grows further in the future, again I'm very sorry."

South Korea manager Klinsmann also showed his disappointment, as he claimed that he was angry because his side should have done much better in the game.

Pressure is heating up on head coach Jurgen Klinsmann, who was forced to defend himself after he was seen smiling as he congratulated Jordan’s players and staff after the full-time whistle was blown at the Ahmad bin Ali Stadium.

He said; "I'm certainly not going to be walking around here smiling. But there are reasons we lost this game and we should accept that".

However, Son will now return to Tottenham as the Asian Cup does not have a third-place play-off.

Meanwhile, the forward could be available for the North Londoners in the Premier League home clash against Brighton this weekend.

Although it remains to be seen whether he is available for selection against the Seagulls, his return is crucial for Tottenham's aspirations of a top-four finish.

What's next?

The Asian Cup continues as Jordan will lock horns with either Iran or the host country (Qatar) in the final on Saturday, February 10.