Southgate Considers Controversial Return For Manchester United's Outcast Mason Greenwood

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Mason Greenwood could potentially make a return to the England team in the future, according to Gareth Southgate.

A police investigation involving the Manchester United outcast was opened in January 2022, but the rape charges were later dropped.

Meanwhile, Greenwood, who is currently playing for Getafe on loan, has not been part of the England setup since September after he breached COVID-19 regulations amid the charges against him.

Southgate has now ruled out Greenwood returning for Euro 2024, despite previously suggesting a comeback could happen after this summer's tournament.

When asked about Greenwood's international future, Southgate stated that "it's not something to consider before the Euros."

The Three Lions chief Southgate said: “I don’t think it’s something for pre-Euros.

“Allowing him to get his career going again abroad appears to have been a good move. But I have not tracked it closely."

However, the England manager emphasized that he would conduct a thorough investigation before deciding whether Greenwood should be given another chance to play for the national team.

He added: “He would need to provide me with more information before I can consider that as an option."

Greenwood was sent on loan to Getafe last August and has since scored eight goals and provided five assists in 26 matches for the La Liga team.

With his expected permanent departure from Manchester United this summer, Southgate is keen to avoid any additional distractions ahead of Euro 2024.

Although there have been rumors of Jamaica offering Greenwood a switch, Southgate believes that the player should focus on his current stint in Spain.

Meanwhile, the 22-year-old's future at club level remains uncertain, as Sir Jim Ratcliffe recently announced that a new decision will be made regarding his career.

In a recent statement, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, the new owner of United, expressed uncertainty about the future of Greenwood, stating that a decision would need to be made based on whether he is the right type of footballer and a good person.

According to Ratcliffe, the process will involve understanding the facts, not the hype, and making a fair decision based on values.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe said: “We will make a decision. I don’t know if he (Greenwood) could still have a future."

“All I can do is talk about the principle of how we will approach decisions like that."

“Is he the right type of footballer? Are we happy with that? Is he a good person or not?'"

“He (Greenwood) is a Manchester United footballer and we are in charge of football."

“So the answer is it’s quite clear we have to make a decision. The process will be - understand the facts, not the hype, and then try and come to a fair decision based on values - which is basically whether he is a good guy or not."

“Could he play sincerely for Manchester United well and would we be comfortable with it and the fans be comfortable with it?"

It is unclear at this time if Manchester United will consider selling Greenwood permanently in the summer, as there are reportedly several Spanish teams interested in him.