Super Eagles striker surprised to receive AFCON 21 call up

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Afolayan Toyosi

Jan 2, 2022
gettyimages-1237145378-612x612.jpg
Slavia Prague forward Peter Olayinka says being called up to join the Super Eagles squad for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations is a dream come true for him. Victor Osimhen and Emmanuel Dennis' withdrawals have opened the door for others to make the trip to Cameroon belatedly this week.

Olayinka was a marginal national team player during the management reign of former head coach Gernot Rohr, despite being a three-time Czech Republic league champion.

During the German manager's five years and four months with the three-time continental winners, the 26-year-old forward saw ten minutes of play spread between two international caps.

Despite the fact that Olayinka was included to Rohr's 40-man provisional list for Cameroon 2021, the Slavia Prague forward was left off of interim coach Augustine Eguavoen's 28-man squad for the tournament.

However, Olayinka was called up to replace Emmanuel Dennis, who was unable to fulfill his national team duties due to a dispute between Watford and NFF.

Olayinka jumped at the chance and reported to the Super Eagles' Abuja camp right away.

It will be the forward's debut appearance at Africa's largest football tournament, and he is looking forward to shedding sweat and blood for his beloved country.

“I’m really excited; it’s a dream come true for me,” Olayinka told Slavia’s official website.

“I’m really looking forward to the tournament; I can’t wait to give it my all.”

Olayinka has put up good numbers for Slavia after returning from an injury that plagued him at the start of the season.

Despite being used primarily as a winger, the ex-KAA Gent attacker has six goals and two assists in all competitions for the Czech champions. deployed mainly as a winger.