Wayne Rooney Reveals How He Nearly Left Man United Under Sir Alex Ferguson

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Wayne Rooney, former Manchester United frontman has disclosed that he almost left the Old Trafford based club during the pinnacle of his football career.

The former Everton forward spent a good period of his years as a football player scoring goals and winning games for the Red Devils, who then, had Chelsea and Liverpool as their enormous rivals in English football.

The aforementioned sides went head-to-head several times in the English Premier League and other domestic titles for many years, however, each time Man United came out on top, thanks to goals from Wayne Rooney.

The former DC United head coach left Man United in the summer of 2017, at the back of being the club's highest-ever goalscorer bagging 253 goals across 559 appearances.

Meanwhile, according to the 38-year-old, some of those goals could have gone to another club, including Chelsea and Manchester City, who came asking for his acquisition back in the summer of 2010.

However, the England International has recently revealed what could have lured him out of Old Trafford.

Speaking to reporters, Rooney said; "2010. It wasn’t just Man City, a few teams were asking. Barcelona and Real Madrid were asking. City were asking, Chelsea were asking".

"There are a few teams. But there was a clash between me and the manager (Sir Alex Ferguson) as well, I genuinely wanted to stay at Man United."

He added; "I knew once you disagree with him (Ferguson) he doesn’t take it lightly. My relationship with the manager was never the same after that".

Rooney went on to win two more league titles and a European trophy under Ferguson before the legendary manager retired in 2013.

Since calling it quits on professional football as a player, Rooney has gone on to become a manager, but he hasn’t enjoyed as much achievement as he did while playing the beautiful game.

The former Manchester United player is currently unemployed after being dismissed as Birmingham City manager in January, following a winning record of only two out of fifteen games.

His period at Derby County and DC United in the MLS also did not yield highly positive results.

Recently, Rooney openly admitted that he would welcome the opportunity to work as an assistant to Pep Guardiola, should the chance ever arise.

He said; "It depends (on whether I’d ever be an assistant), if Pep Guardiola comes in and asks me to be his assistant, you’d walk there".

"You see what (Mikel) Arteta is doing now (at Arsenal) and I strongly believe a lot of that is from learning what Guardiola was doing, and so it depends on what the situation is".

"For me, the best manager is Pep and you look at how he adapts, how they (City) are playing now is not the same as how they were playing four years ago".

He added; "He keeps making these subtle changes and then you see everyone else trying to do the same. They also work harder than anyone else".

What's next for Wayne Rooney?

Rooney has been linked to a possible switch to boxing, with reports claiming that there have been talks to get him in the ring. Therefore, it remains to be seen if the former England national team captain will secure any role in football or remain a pundit.