Al Nassr Apologize To Chinese Fans For Canceling Scheduled Matches Due To Cristiano Ronaldo's Injury

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Angry fans in China stormed the Al Nassr team hotel following news of their friendly being canceled because of an injury to Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Saudi Pro League club are also scheduled to play Lionel Messi's Inter Miami on Thursday, February 1, 2024.

It appears Ronaldo will not play any part in the mini-exhibition tournament, which includes Al Hilal and Tata Martino's side.

Fans of football in China definitely would have been preparing and making efforts to see Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi in action, unfortunately, their hopes have been dashed.

Al Nassr released a statement on Tuesday, January 23, 2024, revealing their reason for canceling the friendly matches.

They wrote: “We are sad to announce that, unfortunately, and for reasons beyond Al Nassr's control, the event comprised of two matches scheduled on the 24th and 28th of January has been postponed to a date to be defined.”

“We came here in Shenzhen with a lot of respect for Chinese football fans and specifically for the fans of Ronaldo.

“Taking this into consideration, in addition to the tight relationship between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and China, we, Al Nassr, are willing to complete our training camp as planned in Shenzhen, a city that has warmly welcomed us and shown so much love for us and our Captain.”

The Knights of Najd also added that they have agreed with the organizer to “schedule a new match as soon as possible”.

In culminating their lengthy statement shared via social media, the club wrote: “We love our Chinese fans, and we are looking forward to playing for them as soon as possible.”

The Chinese fans will feel sad and gutted that they will not have the opportunity to see Ronaldo in the interim, however, they can take solace in the fact that Al Nassr have agreed to plan a new match when the Portuguese will likely be available.

Cristiano Ronaldo later attended a presser, where he sent out his apology to saddened Chinese fans.

The 38-year-old said: “As you know, in football some things you cannot control. I have played 22 years in football and I am a player that doesn’t have too many injuries.

“So I’m really sad because Al-Nassr and myself have come to China to enjoy the tour.

“I love this country. I love being here. I love being with you. I want to play for you!”

Meanwhile, he made it clear to the fans in China that the clash will still be held but at a newly scheduled date which will be communicated to the fans.

He said: “I felt that I am always special here. I feel sad. I know you are sad too, especially the people who love Cristiano, but we have to see this in a good way.

“We have not canceled the game, we want to push for the game and be back here. We will be back.”

Anyway, Al Nassr return to league action on Wednesday, February 14, 2024, facing Al-Fayha, and they will be aiming to pick up a good victory in their race for the league crown.

Cristiano Ronaldo joined the Saudi Pro League club on January 1, 2023, following his acrimonious exit from Manchester United in November 2022.

Ronaldo has been menacing with the club since his arrival, as he scored 54 goals for club and country in 2023, to end the year as the top scorer globally.

His impressive showing resulted in him winning the Best Middle East Player at the Globe Soccer Awards and by virtue of him being the top scorer for 2023, he also won the Maradona Award.