Antonio Conte Terms Top-four Finish By Tottenham Hotspur Under Him A “Miracle”

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Antonio Conte has expressed that Tottenham Hotspur qualifying for the UEFA Champions League in 2022 was a “miracle”.

Spurs were placed 8th on the Premier League log when Conte took over the helms in November 2021.

Antonio Conte battled hard through the season and he guided the club to a fourth-place finish on the culminating day of the season.

In an interview with the Telegraph, Conte discussed how that season panned out, saying: "With all the problems we faced, [it] was a miracle. We didn't celebrate like it was a miracle because I am used to winning.”

Antonio Conte has won several trophies in his managerial career, including 4 Seria A titles - three in a row at Juventus and one during his stint with Inter Milan.

The 54-year-old also won the Premier League and FA Cup during his stay at Chelsea.

He added that celebrating finishing fourth and a place in the UEFA Champions League felt strange to him.

Conte said: “For me, to celebrate fourth place and a place in the Champions League was really strange.

“At the end of the final game against Norwich, I called my staff and said 'pay attention, don't be used to celebrating a Champions League place'. I was very clear.”

Tottenham Hotspur were bundled out of the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 in March 2023, having lost 1-0 on aggregate to AC Milan.

He exited Spurs by mutual consent in March 2023 following his outburst in a presser after their 3-3 draw to Southampton on March 18, 2023.

Antonio Conte called the players “selfish” and questioned the management of the English club and their ambitions.

Anyway, the former Atalanta boss isn't infuriated with the club as he expressed that he has great feelings for Spurs.

He said: “If I tell something, it means there is always something true.

“I don't regret anything about this. But I have good feelings about Tottenham. I keep this experience in my heart.”

Conte is currently without a managerial job since he left Tottenham Hotspur, despite reports initially linking him with a move to Saudi Arabia, which could have seen him earn a staggering wage.

Subsequently, it was reported that he had turned down the offers from the Pro League, as he is keen on managing either AS Roma or Napoli.

Roma recently dismissed Jose Mourinho on January 16, 2024, however, Daniele De Rossi was swiftly appointed to replace the Portuguese.

De Rossi hasn't been bad in his handling of the team, as they went on a 4-match winning run, which was halted by Inter Milan in their last Serie A encounter.

Napoli also booted out Rudi Garcia in November 2023, and they opted to appoint Walter Mazzarri to stir the affairs of the club forward.

The Neapolitans have not fared greatly since the appointment of Garcia and they might be looking toward appointing Antonio Conte in the coming months.

Last edited: