Bernado Silva Bemoans Manchester City's “Crazy” Fixture Schedule

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Manchester City, currently gearing up for the Club World Cup in Saudi Arabia as European champions, are facing a challenging schedule, prompting Bernardo Silva to remark on the "crazy" amount of games elite footballers are obligated to play.

This condensed fixture list poses increased injury risks due to limited rest for players.

Bernardo Silva said: “Sometimes I feel tired. All of us, for some games because we play every three days. We don’t rest.

“We have no Christmas. We have no summer. But that’s the price you pay at a top club and fighting for all competitions…”

The tournament, sandwiched between Premier League fixtures spanning over 3,000 miles, offers City a chance to play in the Club World Cup for the first time amid the tasking schedule.

Silva acknowledged the privilege of their high salaries but highlighted concerns about the game's energy and intensity diminishing with excessive matches.

The impending expansion of the Club World Cup to a 32-team event occurring every four years, rather than the current annual mid-season affair, has drawn attention.
Manchester City's manager, Pep Guardiola, expressed discontent not with the new competitions but with the inadequate recovery time between seasons, particularly after the grueling campaign and the rush to partake in additional tournaments.

Pep Guardiola: "I'm not against new competitions, I'm against the lack of time to recover year by year. This is what I'm complaining about all the time. It’s fine to play every three, five, seven days, but when we finish the season we [need time] to restart..."

Despite these challenges, Guardiola sees the Club World Cup as an opportunity to complete the trophy collection for Manchester City.
The club aims to secure victory against Urawa Red Diamonds in the semi-final, with the possibility of facing Fluminense in the final.

Guardiola remains cautious, acknowledging the unfamiliarity of their opponent, Urawa, and highlighting Japan's strong footballing prowess.
Additionally, key players Kevin de Bruyne and Erling Haaland, recovering from injuries, are part of the squad, although their availability for the tournament remains uncertain.

The majority of the City's players have never won the Converted FIFA Club World Cup trophy and they feel motivated to add the trophy to their already expanding trophy cabinet.

Phil Foden: “The Club World Cup is a new experience. We want to win it. It’s all about making history; we want to add the competition to the list. I’m really looking forward to it..."

Reflecting on City's recent on-field behavior, the team has faced consequences, receiving a £120,000 fine from the Football Association due to players' conduct surrounding referee Simon Hooper during the dramatic 3-3 draw against Tottenham.

Despite the challenges and financial penalties, City remains focused on the Club World Cup, aiming to secure victory and add another prestigious title to their extensive collection.