Erling Haaland Names Lionel Messi As The Best Football Player Of All Time

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Erling Haaland of Manchester City has named Lionel Messi as the best footballer to have ever graced the beautiful game.

The Norwegian goal machine is among the Man City team preparing to face Copenhagen in the UEFA Champions League at 21:00 on Wednesday, March 6.

Ahead of the game, the former Borussia Dortmund forward was interviewed about whether Lionel Messi needs to retire for him (Haaland) to win the Ballon d'Or and the FIFA Best Player Award.

What happened?

The former Salzburg player was listed by many to emerge as the winner of the 2023 Ballon d'Or and FIFA The Best Men's Player of the Year after his impressive season with the Citizens.

Therefore, Lionel Messi beats the Norway International to win a record-eighth Ballon d'Or in 2023 despite Haaland's massive contribution to Manchester City's treble success last season.

The 23-year-old had an all-time debut season with Manchester City, scoring 52 goals in 53 appearances during the 2022/2023 campaign.

The striker has enjoyed a hugely successful career since emerging as one of the world's finest talents in Austria (Salzburg). He has since grown in leaps and bounds to become the world's apex sharpshooter but remains hungry for success.

What Erling Haaland said about Lionel Messi

When questioned about losing the Ballon d'Or to Lionel Messi in 2023, Halland said; "I don’t know. Good question. Yeah, he indeed won it, he won the World Cup. I don’t know what to say. He is the best that’s ever played, I think. So yeah, I don’t know".

Erling Haaland could well have been honest if he felt that he deserved to win both awards over the Argentina captain.

The Norwegian striker also disclosed that he wants to attain an incredible level of consistency. He told reporters that even as he had won everything last season at 22 years old, he wants to repeat the feat this season again.

Haaland said; "I’ve won it all but I’m only 23, so I want to win it all again".

Haaland's comments have aroused debates on the future of football's individual awards and the inevitable transition of legends.

As Messi ages, the football world closely watches the next generation of young players, like Haaland, who are ready to make their mark.

Attaining the feat Haaland achieved last season is a testament to the game being in safe hands as several new heroes who draw inspiration from Lionel Messi emerge.

Erling Haaland continues to break records while Lionel Messi proceeds to solidify his legacy. Hence, the discussion between past, present, and future greatness remains an exciting tale in football.

As the football world ponders over Haaland's insights, it's clear that the game's future is as promising as it is in the past, with legends inspiring new generations to reach their pinnacle.

What's next for Erling Haaland?

The 23-year-old will be seen next in action when Manchester City face Copenhagen in the Champions League round of 16 tie on Wednesday, March 6, at the Etihad Stadium.