Former Manchester United And Everton Midfielder Marouane Felliaini Retires Aged 36

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Former Belgium international Marouane Fellaini has decided to retire from football at the age of 36.

Fellaini has opted to hang up his boots following an illustrious career, which saw him play for several notable clubs, including; Manchester United and Everton.

Marouane Fellaini began his career at Standard Liège, before moving to the Premier League to join the Toffees in 2008 for a fee of €21.76 million.

The 36-year-old subsequently accompanied his boss at Everton, David Moyes, to Manchester United following the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson in 2013.

Fellaini signed for the Red Devils on September 2, 2013, for a fee of €32.4 million.

He won an impressive list of trophies at Manchester United, including; 1 FA Cup title, 1 UEFA Europa League title, and 1 Carabao Cup.

Marouane Fellaini is known for amazing heading abilities and he came up clutch for the Old Trafford side on several occasions.

The 36-year-old was a key figure in the teams of former Manchester United managers, notably; Luis Van Gaal and Jose Mourinho.

Fellaini is said to be a player who plays according to the dictate of his manager, as he isn't a system player or a role player.

Marouane Fellaini made 177 appearances for the Red Devils, scoring 22 goals and providing 12 assists in all competitions.

The former midfielder left Manchester United in 2019 to join Chinese Super League club Shandong Luneng in 2019.

Speaking concerning the career he had, Fellaini termed it an “incredible journey”.

He wrote: What an incredible journey it's been! I am so grateful to have played the sport I love at the highest level.”

Marouane Fellaini additionally expressed that he was “proud” to have represented the clubs he had and stated that it was “an honor to have played for the Belgian national team at the Olympics of 2008, Euro 2016, and the World Cups of 2014 and 2018”

He concluded his lengthy statement by sending his appreciation to everyone who played a role in his career.

Fellaini stated: “I have played in front of the best fans in the world, and I want to take this moment to thank all of them for their unwavering support throughout my career.

“Your encouragement and passion have been a constant source of inspiration for me.

“All of this would have been impossible without my family, teammates, coaches, advisers, and everyone who has been a part of my journey.

“Your love, guidance, support, and friendship have been invaluable. Thank you!

“As I embark on this new chapter in my life, I look forward to new challenges, but be assured, I will continue to support the beautiful game in any way I can.”

The 36-year-old made 87 appearances for the Red Devils of Belgium, scoring 18 goals and providing 4 assists in all competitions.

He was amongst the Belgian side tagged the “golden generation” and they reached impressive heights although they couldn't win a trophy despite their efforts.

Marouane Fellaini also becomes another member of that squad to call time on their active playing career, with Eden Hazard retiring in October 2023.