I wasn't making money under Banky W, Skales opens up on his experience

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Nigerian singer Raoul John Njeng popularly known as Skales revealed that he wasn't making any money while he was under Banky W's record label EME.

img_1698172747890_1.jpg

Skales revealed this in a recent interview on the Terms and Conditions podcast saying that he had to vacate the house he was staying in when his contract with the record label ended because the label was paying the rent and he couldn't get funds to pay the rent.

He said he wasn't making money when he was signed to the label. Skales said he had some collaborations but they didn't sustain him as it should because he was young and still learning life back then. He said whatever he made, he split into two and sent the other half to his mom.

He said he had those who contributed to his growth but he wouldn't like to call names. They gave him a home to stay and supported him. He didn't want to overstay his welcome so he left and began staying in hotels.

He disclosed that he had no friends and people stopped picking his calls during that period. He said people should not feel entitled to people's access because everyone has an ulterior motive for being friends with you. He said there are some people he call that still ignores him but he's focused on his growth.

Skales mentioned Olamide as one of those who helped him during his trying times. He said the artist was always there when he needed help and he never turned him down.

He said, "He's part of the people that didn't make me a bitter person. I would have thought to myself, 'oh this person didn't help me'. That's not a cool mindset. Nobody should have that entitlement that someone has to go all the way for them. If you don't want to, it's not by force. Move on."

Adewale Stock

Administrator
Apr 15, 2020
How many years did he spend at EME and what are some of Skale's hit songs. Can you share

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
How many years did he spend at EME and what are some of Skale's hit songs. Can you share
Skales was signed into EME records in 2009 and left in May 2014. He spent five years with the label. During that period, he released many songs like Shake Body, Ori Mi featuring Wizkid, Goosebumps, Must Shine among others. He gained wider recognition in 2017 after releasing his hit single "Temper" remix with Burna Boy.

Here's a link to the song