If I quit music today, my name will be on the Afrobeats Bible - Rema

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Nigerian music export Divine Ikubor popularly known as Rema stated that if he quits music today, his name will be on the Afrobeats Bible.

20231102_180957.jpg

23-year old Rema is on the cover of the new issue of I-D magazine and he lets us into his world of music and how his sound has evolved over time.

Since he broke into the entertainment realm in 2019, Rema has been in the hearts of his fans The Ravers and he has never left. His consistency and dedication towards his craft is undeniable and unmatched. This has helped him to build his musical career and fan base across the world in such a short period of time, earning him a spot among the OGs of the industry and making him incomparable to his peers.

20231102_180952.jpg

While speaking to I-D magazine, Rema acknowledged his immense contributions to Afrobeats music stating that if he decides to quit music today, his name will be on the Afrobeats Bible if ever there is going to be one. In fact, Rema said his name would be on the front page of the New Testament as one of the sole contributors to the genre of the sound.

He said, "If I say I want to stop right now, my name is still going to be on the Afrobeats Bible, if there is an Afrobeats Bible to be dropped. I’ll literally be in the New Testament, on the front page."

Rema spoke about how he has evolved over the years with his sound. He recalls identifying with rap when he started his music with his first body of work Rema EP in 2019 which introduced him into the industry. Now, Rema calls his sound Afrorave, his own perception of African music derived from Afrobeats.

20231102_180948.jpg

He spoke about facing criticism with his sound and people bashing him for sounding like an Indian. Rema said he took all those words and built on it, expanding his craft and owning it confidently. Now, he is the first African artist to perform in four cities in India.

He stated, "They called me Indian Boy, I went to India. I’m the first artist to shut down four cities in India, 5000 capacity and above. No one can deny that I’ve impacted Afrobeats on a global scale."

Click the link to the full story here.