IIkay Gundogan's Wife, Sara Admits Missing Manchester, Despite Previously Bashing The City

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Ilkay Gundogan's wife, Sara, has acknowledged missing the city of Manchester - despite having lambasted the city's food and environment in the past.

Sara Gundogan currently resides in Spain with her husband, Gundogan, following his move from Manchester City to Barcelona in the summer of 2023.

Gundogan spent 7 years with the Cityzens, where he made 304 appearances and won 14 major trophies, including the treble - FA Cup, Premier League, and UEFA Champions League last campaign.

IIkay Gundogan started dating Sara in 2021, before the couple got married in 2022, and subsequently welcomed their first child, son, named Kais, in March 2023.

Sara is a Television presenter and model, who is now set to star in Amazon Prime Video's new series Married To The Game.

This series is about the lives of the wives and girlfriends (WAGs) of footballers, with the wife of former Manchester City attacker Riyad Mahrez set to feature.

Mahrez's wife Taylor Ward had in the past gone viral when the footballer squashed her concerns over moving to Saudi Arabia in the trailer.

Ward has now shared what it feels like to live in Saudi Arabia, while Sara Gundogan has changed her views regarding living in Manchester.

During her stay in Manchester, she infamously bashed the food, despite Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola owning a tap restaurant in the city named, Tast in the area.

The TV presenter and model wrote on Instagram: “Sorry, I’m sad to be honest but nothing. I tried so bad to find a good restaurant but horrible food everywhere.

“Can’t find a real Italian or good sushi or just fresh food… everything frozen.

“Restaurants here are focus on making money with drinks and shots like nightclubs, not quality food. Maybe in London but in Manchester nothing. I’m sorry.”

Seven months after moving to Barcelona, Sara has seemingly had a change of thought as she has admitted she came to enjoy life in Manchester.

In an interview with the Daily Mail, Sara Gundogan expressed that during her stay in the Northern part of England, her whole life revolved around football.

She said: “When I was in Manchester, my whole life was (originally) around football.

“My friends were football, the people I met through my husband, and then I didn't have anything that was just my world outside of that.

“And I'm a social person. So it took me a bit of time, but I made friends and it was really nice.

“After making friends, I was really happy. I had my own life and routine in Manchester and I have one of my best friends there.”

Concerning relocating to Barcelona, she shared that it's sad because you have to sometimes leave the people you love.

Sara Gundogan added: “It's always sad, especially because you make friends, you're happy somewhere, you build your life and then you have to leave all the people you love.”

Despite her previous stance on the City's food scene, IIkay Gundogan's wife misses Manchester and she made it known saying:

“I think it's really hard to live in England when you are alone in the house and you can't meet anyone.

“But when you start to know a bit more about it, how to go around and have friends, I think the place changes completely and you can enjoy it.

“I started to enjoy everything and I kind of miss Manchester now.”

Meanwhile, IIkay Gundogan has made 35 appearances for Barcelona since his arrival on a free transfer in July 2023, scoring 5 goals and providing 10 assists in all competitions.

The 33-year-old is one of the first names on the team sheet and he has been impressive since joining the club.