Jesse Lingard's Home Debut At FC Seoul Sets New Record In K League Hours Before Kick-off

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Jesse Lingard's home debut for FC Seoul produced a league-record attendance as thousands of supporters queued to buy his club tickets before kick-off.

The 31-year-old former Manchester United player, who was released by Nottingham Forest at the end of last season, put pen to paper on a two-year contract with the South Korean side in February 2024.

During the last weekend, the Englishman made his much-anticipated K League 1 debut in a 2-0 defeat to Gwangju, where he was brought on in the 77th minutes of action.

It was a forgettable afternoon for fans but a week later, they were still willing to catch a glimpse of their arguably biggest-ever signing on Sunday, March 10.

In fact, FC Seoul built a shop outside the club's 66,000-capacity stadium containing Lingard customized jerseys, and numerous fans were filmed queueing up for hours to make their purchase.

It was later confirmed that Lingard's appearance helped set a K League attendance record after a phenomenal 51,670 supporters were present at the Gyeongin Derby.

Before the arrival of Lingard, attendance record was 45,007 spectators which was set by FC Seoul in 2018 during a match against Daegu.

Fans must have been discouraged to see the midfielder on the bench on Sunday but FC Seoul head coach Kim Gi-dong decided to introduce Lingard after the half-hour mark.

Speaking after the game that ended 0-0, the former West Ham United man said; "We probably should have won in the end. I had a couple of half-chances. Not enough clear chances, but I think we can build on this".

"I think it's all about mindset and confidence coming into these games."

He added: "In front of a big crowd, first home game - amazing support throughout. We maybe should have finished off our chances."

According to a report from Korean outlets, Lingard has become the K League’s highest-paid player following his move to FC Seoul.

It is believed that the midfielder will earn around 1.15 million dollars per year.