Lionel Messi “Saves” 90-year-old Grandmother From Being Kidnapped

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Lionel Messi has possibly given the greatest unnoticed assist of his career, after saving the life of a 90-year-old Argentine grandmother.

The grandmother avoided being kidnapped by Hamas members in Israel, after mentioning that she hails from the same country as Messi.

Esther Cunio, the Argentine grandmother was nearly dragged to Gaza alongside eight members of her family, however, mentioning Lionel Messi became her saving grace.

Cunio, via a Spanish documentary: Latino Stories of Survival shared that she asked the kidnapper if he watches football and he was affirmative.

Esther Cunio added that after revealing that she was from Lionel Messi's country, the kidnapper was stunned and told her that he loves the Inter Miami man.

She said: “I told him ‘Do you watch football?’ He said he liked it and I told him I am from Messi’s country.

“He was surprised and told me he loves Messi. He put his arm on my shoulder, gave me his gun, he made me do the peace sign and they snapped the picture.”

Lionel Messi is one footballer that many across the world love for his brilliance on the football field.

The Argentine is arguably the greatest footballer of all time, having won virtually every major trophy that can be won in his career.

Messi is a pure entertainer, with tricks that will keep you spellbound and stunned for a lengthy period.

Lionel Messi has broken several records in his career, including scoring 91 goals in a calendar year.

Interestingly, despite not being present with the Argentine grandmother, his brilliance enveloped the hearts of the kidnapper and Esther Cunio was saved from being kidnapped.

This is one of the most shocking stories in football and across the world, however, it doesn't just end there, it is also an indicator, telling the impact of football across the globe.

Anyway, Messi is at the twilight of his career, and he currently plays for MLS club Inter Miami.

Lionel Messi has made 4 appearances this season, scoring 4 goals and providing 1 assist in all competitions.

Messi joined Inter Miami on July 15, 2023, on a free transfer, following the expiration of his two-year stint with Paris Saint Germain.

Cumulatively, the 36-year-old has made 18 appearances for the Herons, scoring 15 goals and providing 6 assists in all competitions.

The Barcelona great has won several trophies in his career, including; 12 League titles - 10 La Liga, 2 Ligue 1, 4 UEFA Champions League, and 3 FIFA Club World Cup.

The icon continues to beam his light across the globe and certainly his name is forever etched in history.

The former Paris Saint Germain man will be forever remembered for the magic he has displayed throughout his footballing career.