Lionel Messi: Barcelona Bashed Over “Disrespectful” Statement On The Argentine

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Barcelona have been lambasted for releasing a “disrespectful” statement following the confirmation of Lionel Messi's move to Inter Miami.

Messi is exiting Paris Saint Germain after the expiration of his deal at the end of June and a possible return to Barcelona was also on the cards.

However, due to the Spanish club's financial troubles and worries the return couldn't see the light of the day.

images - 2023-06-08T104026.900.jpeg

The Argentine has afterwards opted for a move to the MLS to join Inter Miami with exciting packages in the deal.

In light of the reality, Barcelona released a statement which read:

“President Laporta understood and respected Messi's decision to want to compete in a league with fewer demands, further away from the spotlight and the pressure he has been subject to in recent years.

“Both Joan Laporta and Jorge Messi also agreed to work together to promote a proper tribute from Barca fans to honour a footballer who has been, is, and always will be beloved by Barca.”

However, the statement put out by the Blaugarana side received several critiscism from supporters.

One fan reacted saying: “That Barcelona statement was so unnecessary and disrespectful.”

Another fan ranted: “This is low from Barcelona.

“Considering they are talking about their best player in club history. Don’t patronise his decision. He can do what he wants.”

Lionel Messi confirmed his decision to join Inter Miami in an interview with Diario Sport and Mundo Deportivo as talks with Barcelona resulted in a deadlock.

Speaking with Diario Sport and Mundo Deportivo, he revealed that he didn't want to be the reason for Barcelona to pass through some difficulties in order to secure his signature.

Messi said: “I heard reports of La Liga giving the green light but the truth is that many, really many things were still missing in order to make my return to Barca happen

"I didn't want to be responsible for them to sell players or reduce salaries. I was tired.”

The Argentine indicated that he wanted to return to Barcelona but after the turn of events which saw him leave in 2021 he decided against returning.

He said: “I really wanted to return to Barça, I had that dream.

“But after what happened two years ago, I did not want to be in the same situation again, leaving my future in the hands of someone else.

Concerning moving to North America to join Inter Miami, Lionel Messi is already relishing the prospect of living in the land of opportunities and playing in the MLS.

“After winning the World Cup and not being able to go to Barca, it's time to go to MLS to live football in a different way and enjoy my day to day life more.

“Obviously with the same responsibility and desire to win, and to do things well, but with more calm.”

To some fans they see the exit of the 7-time Ballon d'Or winner as the end of an era.

In January, Cristiano Ronaldo left Europe to join Al Nassr in Saudi Arabia and fast-forward a few months later, Lionel Messi has also left the European continent to join Inter Miami.

images - 2023-06-08T103843.043.jpeg

This certainly brings emotional and even teary scenes to some fans who were electrified by the performances of both for several years.

Anyway, no one knows there might be one last dance for the Argentine and the Portuguese in Europe!

Source: https://futballnews.com/lionel-messi-barcelona-bashed-over-disrespectful-statement-on-the-argentine/