Mauricio Pochettino Blasts Gary Neville For Calling Chelsea 'Billion Pound Bottlejobs' After Carabao Cup Defeat to Liverpool

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Gary Neville made a rather satirical but harsh comment on Chelsea after the club stumbled to a narrow 1-0 defeat to Liverpool in the 2023/24 EFL Cup final.

Neville said the rollercoaster EFL Cup matchup was between Jurgen Klopp's kids and the Blues 'billion pound bottlejobs.'

The Manchester United legend believes Chelsea would have done more to put the Merseyside outfit to the sword as they played against a relatively inexperienced Liverpool academy boys who replaced several injured first-team players.

However, Pochettino is apparently unfazed by Neville's remark. When asked about the comment, Poch said Neville is unfair to Chelsea as the team also had young players with age-range as Liverpool's.

"I have a good relationship with Gary and I don’t know if that’s how I can take this opinion. But I respect his opinion.

‘Of course, we made a few changes with [Conor] Gallagher and [Ben] Chilwell in extra time, it is true we didn’t keep the energy of how we finished the second half

"He (Neville) knows the dynamics are completely different. I think it’s not fair to talk in this way if he said that,' Pochettino said.

Chelsea were the better side against Liverpool on the eventful night at Wembley but a toothless attack saw the London outfit squander 5 good chances that would turn the game around.

Raheem Sterling found the back of the net for Londoners but the goal was chalked off for offside. Virgil van Dijk also scored for Liverpool but VAR also ruled it out. It ended goalless in regulation time with the game stretched to extra time.

The first break of the extra time saw the two sides settle for a 0-0 draw before Liverpool came back spurred up to nick success on the stroke of the game.

Two minutes before the final whistle, Virgil van Dijk made it happen, scoring a header to separate the tie. The goal was enough to see the Reds glide pass the Blues.

Gary Neville's comment could be seen as a dig at Todd Boehly who has assembled the most expensive squad in Europe worth a billion pounds but is still waiting for his first silverware.