Nigerian Government to Resume Payment of Wage Award This Week

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Kiki

Jul 18, 2023
logo.png
The Federal government of Nigeria have reached an agreement with the labour to pay the agree minimum wage for the Nigerian workers starting from this week. This is made known after the meeting between the Nigeria Labour Congress, the Trade Union Congress and the Nigeria government on Tuesday 14th of February 2024.

The Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress earlier this month issued an ultimatum to the Federal government over the non-payment of salary. In regards to the agreement made by the Federal government and the Union on the 2nd day of October 2023 following the removal of the petrol subsidy. After the Tinubu administration decided to remove subsidy from the price of petrol the Federal government agreed to pay some 35,000 naira as minimum wage for 6 months and provide CNG buses to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal on the masses this agreement is known as the 16 point agreement which is signed by the Federal government and the Labour Congress.

The minister of state labor and employment, Mrs. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha on Tuesday 13th of February 2024 however declared that the referral government will start paying the salary of their workers starting this week. This was made known after the meeting held by the state minister herself and the leaders of the Nigerian Labor Congress and Trade Union Congress in Abuja.

The minister appealed to the leader of NLC and TUC to withdraw the ultimatum of 14 days earlier proposed for the strike as the Federal government is now ready to meet the agreement made to the unions.
The minister applauded the leaders of the NLC and TUC saying that the strike action is actually warranted but now that the government has stepped up to meet up with their side of the bargain, it will be for the betterment of the Nigerians that the congress stepped back from their stand to let the issue be resolved in a way that will benefit all Nigerians.

According to the minister in her word, she said “Dialogue has always been the best way to resolve issues such as this and that is why I'm calling this meeting because you are all fighting for the well-being and welfare of our people so I’m here to show good cause on why an agreement has not been reached”
She explained that some aspects of the agreement required a gradual process. She hoped that the dialogue would result in the labour calling off their threat.
The minister reaffirmed Mr President’s honest intention and steadfast commitment to fulfilling the agreement.

Mrs Onyejeocha also promised them that President Tinubu would do everything possible to meet the labour organisations’ needs.
She said, “I assure you that the government is working hard to implement the agreement fully and I ask the Labour unions to cancel their ultimatum. I urge you to put down your weapon. We have been acting in good faith; it is only that it does not match your expectations.
Hello, this is Copilot. I can help you rewrite paragraphs in different ways. Here is another possible way to rephrase your paragraph:

She assured them that they would exceed their expectation this time, and she was confident that everything would work out well.
Michael Oluwagbemi, the Programme Director and Chief Executive of the Presidential Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) initiative, who joined the meeting online, said that the government had paid 70 percent of the cost for the new CNG buses and kits.
He said that some of the buses were already available. They planned to start making the rest locally, along with the tricycles, between March and April 2024.

Joe Ajaero, the NLC chairman, urged the Federal Government to honour the deadline of the 14-day ultimatum that began on Feb. 9, 2024, by implementing the agreement. Ajaero reaffirmed their determination to stick to their ultimatum. He said that every party to the agreement should try to meet the expectation for the benefit of Nigerians and the government.

Source: https://hubforjobs.com/nigerian-government-to-resume-payment-of-wage-award-this-week