Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Admits Regret Over Sour Ending to Cristiano Ronaldo’s Man United Career

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Former Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has admitted that he regrets watching Cristiano Ronaldo's second spell at Old Trafford ending on a sour note.

The former Real Madrid forward second stint at Manchester United ended sadly, sparking reflection from the head coach who persuaded him to return to Old Trafford.

What happened?

Cristiano Ronaldo returned triumphantly to Old Trafford in the summer of 2021 from Juventus, 12 years after first leaving for Real Madrid for a world-record fee of 80 million pounds in the summer of 2009.

The 39-year-old enjoyed an excellent first season, scoring 24 goals across all competitions, 18 goals in the English Premier League, and six in the UEFA Champions League, the Red Devils finished sixth in the table.

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner was managed by two managers in the first year of his return, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who bought him, and Ralf Rangnick who replaced the Norway International when he was fired in November 2021.

The five-time Champions League winner’s second season was the most unsettled of his career, with the problems starting with Rangnick.

Rangnick accused him of missing most of the pre-season tour due to his newborn daughter’s illness after losing the male child of the twin.

Thereafter, Manchester United decided to part ways with the German tactician and hired Erik ten Hag, after a few months in charge. Things went from bad to worse for Ronaldo as he fell out of favor under the watch of the Dutchman following a disagreement between the pair.

However, His second spell at the club ended after an explosive interview with Piers Morgan, in which he blasted ten Hag, claiming he lacked respect for him.

Shortly after, Manchester United decided to part ways with the 2016 Euro winner via mutual consent.

What Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said about Cristiano Ronaldo Man United's second spell sad ending:

Solskjaer opened up on the situations surrounding Ronaldo's return and the ultimate end in an interview with Times of India.

The 1999 UEFA Champions League winning goalscorer reflected on how Ronaldo ended up at the club, resisting the complication of the deal in the early stages to complete a fantastic return and how his first season went.

Solskjaer still believes bringing Ronaldo back to United was the right decision.

While speaking on a tour of India he said; "Cristiano wanted to leave Juventus but we didn’t think it was possible to bring him back. We had built a squad without Cristiano".

"And then when this opportunity came, I think everyone in the world thought it was going to be fantastic. And he had a good season. I think he scored 28 goals. I love Cristiano’s professional attitude. But it didn’t work out for him. It didn’t work out for me. It didn’t work out for the team, unfortunately".

"But at that moment, it was the right decision to welcome him back to Old Trafford. That’s life. We made a decision".

"His first outing on return was against Newcastle. I think there have not been many days at Old Trafford that have seen a better vibe. And it was an unbelievable thing. So, it’s about giving people memories. That’s a memory for everyone who was there, and he came back after having been the best player in the world for so many years".

The former United striker added; "So, unfortunately, after I left, it turned sour with Cristiano. It was sad to see from the outside".

His second spell debut was against Newcastle United, and he scored a brace in the 4-1 win, a delightful day at Old Trafford.

The 39-year-old moved to Saudi Pro League club Al-Nassr after leaving England. In his first year at the club, he scored 54 goals in all competitions, including international goals.

What next?

Cristiano Ronaldo will be seen next in action when Al Nassr battles Al Feiha in the AFC Champions League on Wednesday, February 14. Solskjaer, on the other hand, is yet to secure a job since he left Man United in 2021.