Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Praises Bruno Fernandes' Leadership Qualities But Notes Midfielder's Flaws

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has shared that during his time as manager of Manchester United, he knew Bruno Fernandes had inherent leadership qualities.

Solskjaer indicated that Fernandes has the personality and qualities, but he is too passionate and hot-headed sometimes.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made this known on the Stick To Football podcast, which he was a guest on, in the company of co-hosts - Gary Neville, Roy Keane, Jamie Carragher, and Ian Wright.

The Norwegian, who last managed Manchester United also revealed that he loved Harry Maguire as captain, saying that the English defender “was the leader in the group” when he was at the club.

Maguire faced heated criticisms during his time as captain, with some supporters infuriated that he was too cold.

Harry Maguire was maligned by many fans as they felt he didn't show leadership traits in games, due to some notable calls going against Manchester United.

These supporters were of the notion that if he was in the face of the referees, those decisions might not have gone against the Red Devils.

Anyway, Bruno Fernandes has also received a torrent of criticisms from fans, purists, enthusiasts, and pundits, including being lambasted by Manchester United legend and former captain Roy Keane for displaying a petulant reaction whenever United have their back against the wall.

These individuals expressed that Bruno Fernandes cannot engineer a side from a place of dejection to elation, as most captains do.

Meanwhile, the Portuguese midfielder has shown passion and guts while playing for the Red Devils, and this has earned him the trust of many supporters, who are delighted that he is captain of Manchester United.

Fernandes has never been sidelined for a match for anything other than illness in 12 years.

The midfielder has played for 5 clubs in his career, namely; Novara, Udinese, Sampdoria, Sporting Lisbon, and Manchester United.

Bruno Fernandes as aforementioned has never missed any encounter due to injury in over 500 appearances.

He has been unavailable for just two solitary games since he became a professional, and Fernandes missed both matches due to illness.

During the 2016/17 season, the 29-year-old missed a fixture for Sampdoria due to flu.

Bruno Fernandes was also absent for United's 3-2 win over Tottenham Hotspur in 2022 due to illness.

Speaking on the Stick To Football podcast, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said: “I knew Bruno Fernandes had captain qualities when I was manager at Manchester United.

“He’s got the personality and quality, but he knows and I’ve told him that he’s too passionate at times and he loses a bit of control.

“I loved Harry Maguire as a captain, he was the leader in that group for me when I was at the club.”

Solskjaer was formerly manager of Manchester United between December 2018 to November 2021 - initially as caretaker boss, before being handed the top job permanently in March 2019.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was dismissed in 2021, following a run of poor results, with his last game as manager of the Red Devils being a 4-1 loss to Watford.

The 51-year-old has managed just 3 clubs in his career, namely; Molde FK, Cardiff City, and Manchester United.