Pep Guardiola Insists Manchester City's Case Is Different From Everton's Case

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Pep Guardiola has maintained that the 115 financial charges facing Manchester City is a “completely different” matter to that of Everton, and as such, it cannot be compared.

Recall on Friday, November 17, 2023, Everton suffered a ten-point deduction for breaching financial rules.

Guardiola, who has in the past claimed that he would exit Manchester City if they were found guilty of breaching financial rules, said that both cases are not comparable.

20231125_110936.jpg

The Spanish tactician was questioned on the fate of the Citizens given the recent punishments handed to Everton, Pep Guardiola said: “It's two different cases. It's not the same - honestly, speaking in a presser ahead of City's game against Liverpool, he revealed that he has spoken with officials of the club and they told him that it's “completely different”.

He added: “I spoke with my people - [they] said it is completely different.

“OK - our own is longer because it is more complicated because it's 115 breaches. So wait.

“Then the lawyers from both sides present their cases in front of the judge and [we receive] the verdict.”

Manchester City remains the only club to have been indicted by the Premier League for allegedly breaching financial rules.

Additionally, the Citizens were referred to an independent commission for breaching these rules above 100 times between 2009 and 2018.

The Manchester-based club has also been accused of not cooperating since the investigation started in December 2018.

Manchester City were charged in February 2023, months before that of Everton and it is understood that their case is still being examined.

The independent commission handling the case could slam Pep Guardiola's side with punishments ranging from a fine, point deduction, and even banishment from the top flight.

The Premier League champions have always claimed to be innocent of the charges facing them.

Guardiola was also asked if he would ponder over his future at Manchester City if the club is expelled from the Premier League, he said:

“I will wait. Wait and see it, and after the sentence has been done we will come here and explain it.

He stressed his commitment to Manchester City and expressed he would not consider his future even if they were demoted to League One.

Guardiola added: “But absolutely I will not consider my future if it depends on being here or being in League One.

"Absolutely. There is more chance to stay if we are in League One than if we win the Champions League.

“I know when people are saying - 'OK, City - why don't they go to the [National League]?' Wait. After [the decision is made] what's going to happen is going to happen.

“What people accuse us of, we do not agree with what they say.

The 52-year-old added that Manchester City aren't backing down on defending themselves.

He said: “We are going to defend ourselves and after the resolution is done I will be here, like a spokesman for my club.”

Manchester City sit at the summit of the Premier League table, with 28 points from 12 league matches.

They welcome Liverpool to the Etihad on Saturday, November 25, 2023, in what is believed to be the biggest game for Matchday 10 in the 2023/24 Premier League season.