Stanley Nwabali Apologizes to Nigerians After 2023 AFCON Final Loss

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Stanley Nwabali has apologized to Nigerians after Nigeria's 2023 AFCON final loss to Cote D'Ivoire.

Second-half goals by Franck Kessie and Sebastian Haller overturned Nigeria's 1-0 lead to hand the Ivoriens a deserved victory over the Super Eagles.

From the brink of group stage exit to emerging winners of the tournament, Ivory Coast completed one of the most crazy comebacks in football history. Nigeria will outplayed throughout the game as Jose Peseiro stuck to his defensive style of play deployed throughout the tournament.

After the match, the Super Eagles have come under heavy backlash for a subpar delivery that cost the team their fourth AFCON crown.

Reacting to the loss, Nigeria goalkeeper, Stanley Nwabali, has taken to his social media handle to express his disappointment while apologizing to Nigeria fans for the loss.

Nwabali wrote on his X handle, "A disappointing and frustrating end. I deeply apologize to Nigerians. I was once a fan, still a fan and I understand how it feels giving you a disappointing night. We take full responsibility. Thanks for the whole support till the end. I love you all.

Nwabali and other members of the Super Eagles squad are expected to be received by the Nigerian government in Abuja after their prolific sail in the continental showpiece.

Nigeria has now reached the 8th AFCON final - the most by any African team - winning three and losing five.