Stop saying "Shey you dey whine me ni?" It is "Shey you dey wind me up ni," man corrects Nigerians over their use of English

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Hamot Yusuf

Jun 1, 2023
Lagos, Nigeria

Stop saying "Shey you dey whine me ni?" It is "Shey you dey wind me up ni," man corrects Nigerians over their use of English​

A Nigerian man has taken it upon himself to correct Nigerians over their use of English. However, an example he cited elicited hilarious responses from citizens and even he couldn't help but laugh at some point.

You know so well how common it is to hear Nigerians say "Are you whining me?" Shey you dey whine me ni? Well, this young Professor said the word "whine" is an incorrect word which has a different meaning. According to him, "to whine means to complain in an annoying way." Hence, the correct grammar is "Are you winding me up? Or are you teasing me?" In pidgin English, the correct grammar is "Shey you dey wind me up ni?"

Compared to the word "whine", "to wind up" means to tell someone something that is not true, as a joke. Now that you've just been schooled, will you consider switching the common usage of "whine" to "wind up?"

==