This Nigerian book will spin your emotions

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Achem Deborah

Jul 1, 2022
“They will ask me when I first knew I was in love with you.
I will sigh and say I don’t know.
It happened in fragments, piece by piece, separate moments over the years. Moments – that’s how I remember it. ” - Excerpt from A Broken People's Playlist by Chimeka Garricks

When it comes to writing, Nigerians have conquered several genres and broken the idea that “African people do not read”. The contemporary writers we have in Nigeria have succeeded in carving a niche for themselves in the world of art, this includes winning international awards, telling Nigerian stories in beautifully written words and sentences, and so on. We cannot deny the fact that it can only get better for Nigerian writers, and we are here to see it!

A broken People’s playlist by Chimeka Garricks is a collection of beautifully told short stories. He came into the limelight with this book and since then, it has taken the Nigerian literary world by storm. In a broken people's playlist, the stories were written under the influence of several songs, and they all mirror several cases of love and death. It is also Chimeka Garrick’s debut novel which is currently in every Nigerian book store. A big win, I must say.

IMG_1568.jpg

The first page of this book will draw you in, exposing your mind to several different emotions. Chimeka Garricks does not stop there, he continues to create characters that leave you angry, intrigued, betrayed, frustrated, and most especially, sad. A broken People’s playlist is a book that every book lover should have on their bookshelf. This is not only because the stories are timeless and presented in a memorable form, but as a result of the people these stories represent, the places, culture, and familiarity the characters breed in all the stories.

Asides from this, Chimeka Garrick has a way with words that pierce emotions. According to the author, these stories were written as he listened to songs. This is why in every chapter, you can see the songs and how they influenced his choice of characters, scenes, themes, language, and so on. The themes of this book greatly mirror the characters, their experiences, fears, dreams, and aspirations. All of these make Chimeka Garricks such a thoughtful author and we certainly look forward to his future books.

So, if you are an avid reader of books with a keen interest in romance, love, and other related themes; a broken People’s playlist is the perfect book for you. It is readily available at every book store which makes it an easier route to get a copy for yourself. Several writers have recently come into the Nigerian literary scene, and Chimeka Garricks has proven to be another astounding writer to look forward to in the future.

Disclaimer: do not read this book if you are an emotional wreck, or currently going through an emotional phase in life.
I certainly do not want to be the spoiler, so this is all I am going to say; Get a pack of handkerchiefs before you read this book.

References:
A Broken People's Playlist - Chimeka Garricks