UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin Announces Decision Not to Contest Again in 2027

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Aleksander Ceferin has decided to call to an end his reign as UEFA President when his current tenure comes to an end in 2027.

Ceferin has been on the saddle as UEFA President since 2016. He has been elected two times more to continue on the reigns. His most recent re-election was in 2023 and that will happen to be his last re-election as president of the European football's governing body.

The Slovenian was reportedly poised to re-contest for re-election in 2027 following the support of 49 out of 55 European FA's who wanted him to continue by amending UEFA statutes to allow him to go for a fourth term.

However, England FA are said to have vetoed the unanimous move as they don't support Ceferin's signature policies and Programs.

Despite having the endorsement of the majority of UEFA members, Ceferin, 56, still chose to step down when his current tenure expires in 2027.

Announcing his decision to quit in 2027, Ceferin said;

'The reason is that after some time every organization needs fresh blood, but mainly because I was away from my family for seven years now.

'I intentionally didn't want to disclose my thoughts before, because firstly, I wanted to see the real face of some people and I saw it.

'I have a beautiful life in football, I have a beautiful life outside of football as well.'

At the crux of his decision to step down is the opposition of the English FA, who are said to be a big influence on policy decisions by the body.

The English FA reportedly disagreed with Alexander Ceferin's decision to push for an increased representation of women in the UEFA Executive Committee - the apex decision-making body of the body.

It is understood Ceferin's decision to resign is linked to the opposition by the English FA although he would had the leeway to re-contest for a fourth term with the backing of other 49 FAs.

Ceferin announced his decision to resign still canvassing for a change of dynamics in the functioning of UEFA that will allow women to play a greater role in football administration in the continent.