Victor Osimhen Explains His Lack of Goals in 2023 AFCON

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Nigeria footballing sensation Victor Osimhen has hit back at critics for his lack of goals in the ongoing 2023 AFCON.

Osimhen, who scored 26 Serie A goals to propel Napoli to their first Scudetto title in 33 years and emerged as the top scorer in the 2023 AFCON qualifiers with 10 goals, is now struggling to find the back of the net for the Super Eagles in 2023 AFCON.

Starting five matches for the team in the tournament, the 2023 Serie A Golden Boot winner has one goal and two assists for the Super Eagles.

He scored the equaliser in the opening match against Equatorial Guinea and assisted two of Lookman's three goals in the tournament.

Osimhen's scoreless run in AFCON has seen him come under backlash from some critics who believe the CAF Footballer of the Year is not doing enough for the Super Eagles in the tournament.

However, it appears the Napoli talisman is not having it with cold critics and their criticisms. Explaining his goal drought in the tournament, Victor Osimhen said he always puts his team first, ensuring they win instead of unnecessarily trying to push himself to the spotlights.

The 2023 Serie Players' Player of the Season added he doesn't have to force individual goal at the expense of helping the team.

“Those who know me, they know I don’t put myself before the team. If my goal comes, they come. I want to help the team with goals, of course, but if I am not scoring, I am defending. If I am not defending, I am fighting for them.”

Mallorca-born Equational Guinea star Emilio Nsue, 34, is leading the chart of 2023 AFCON topscorers, having bagged five goals in the group stage of the tournament.

Despite the goal deadlock, Victor Osimhen has been the most outstanding player for the Super Eagles in the tournament and has been spotlighted on multiple occasions for his contributions to the team throughout the tournament.