Virgil Van Dijk Reveals Top 5 Playlist, Featuring 3 Afrobeat Stars

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Ahead of Sunday's Carabao Cup final, which involves Liverpool against Chelsea, Virgil Van Dijk has named his top five tracks that he is listening to.

The Liverpool defender expressed his unflinching admiration for Afrobeats and also classic tunes, mentioning names of top musicians that he listens to.

Van Dijk's interest in Afrobeats is not a thing of surprise, as the Dutch defender often listens to songs from that genre when he's training and he regularly posts videos of himself feeling the vibe on his social media accounts.

His list includes three Afrobeats songs and two classic Hip-Hop songs, one from late American Rapper Notorious B.I.G and also one from Mase.

The Afrobeats section, which occupied the first, fourth, and last spots are songs from Omah Lay, Asake, and Rema respectively.

Speaking concerning his top five songs, Van Dijk said, “Hi, my name is Virgil Van Dijk and these are my top five tracks.

“Number one is Omah Lay with ‘Holy Ghost.’ Dope! Listen to it. It keeps you in the mood. The second one would be Mase with ‘Feel So Good.’ Very good classic.

“Unbelievable! Then the third one will be The Notorious B.I.G with ‘Mo Money Mo Problems.’ Nice vibes, you know what I mean?

“So, number four would be Asake with ‘Lonely At The Top.’ Nice one, nice vibes. The sun is shining. Hopefully, it will be nice. And my fifth one would be Rema with ‘Charm.’ Very nice.

“There is a lot of Afrobeats because I like to have nice vibes, sun is shining, smiling faces, and winning the Carabao Cup Final.”

Anyway, the 32-year-old is expected to lead the Reds in Sunday's Carabao Cup final against Chelsea on Sunday, February 25, 2024, where they could lift their first trophy of the season.

He has made 29 appearances this campaign, scoring three goals and providing two assists in all competitions.

Additionally, Van Dijk in a presser also touched on the injuries to Liverpool players, and its effect on the team in the final, claiming the injuries to top players in the squad should not be a worry.

The Dutchman said: “I think the players coming in have to step up and show they’re wrong."

He added that they have enough quality to face their opponents, and it will be a big problem for Chelsea if they take them [Liverpool] lightly:

“I think that’s the only way to do it. If they [Chelsea] take us lightly, then that’s their problem. I think we have enough quality to read the opponents."

Liverpool are set to be without players like Mohamed Salah, Diogo Jota, and also Darwin Nunez, allowing other players to step up.

The absence of these players could prove costly for the Reds against Chelsea, but given their showing in the league this term, they will be hoping to show superiority in the face of adversity.

The Carabao Cup could be the first of trophies for Jurgen Klopp in his final season with Liverpool, as the team are also still in the UEFA Europa League and they sit at the summit of the Premier League table.