Akwa Ibom: It was fair primary election, i accept my defeat - Prof. Ekong

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
Apr 29, 2022
images (13).jpeg

Professor Christopher Ekong, one of the frontline gubernatorial candidates on the platform of Akwa Ibom state's All Progressive Congress (APC) who lost in the state's recently concluded primary, eventually conceded defeat.

He urged other hopefuls who didn't go through the nomination process to do the same and back the candidate to see how the party can topple the ruling Peoples' Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2023 elections.

It should be remembered that Mr. Akanimo Udofia's announcement as the candidate for APC Governor in Akwa Ibom caused much controversy.

Senator Ita Enang, a former aide to President Muhammadu Buhari on Niger Delta issues, had previously criticized the outcome of the exercise.

Senator John Akpanudoedehe, a former Secretary of the APC Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee and a candidate, fought the primaries and even filed a lawsuit against them, though it was later learned that he had withdrawn the lawsuit.

However, during a press conference in Uyo on Wednesday, Ekong, a former State Commissioner for Youth and Sport, said he accepts the results of the primaries as announced by the party and urged others to do the same.

He claimed that accepting the winner would foster reconciliation and healing, bolstering the party's support for Udofia in the 2023 governorship elections.

Obong Akan Udofia was declared winner of the APC governorship primaries in Akwa Ibom State, since then, I've accepted the outcome as announced by the Party. He said.

I'd like to take this opportunity to urge all other candidates in the race to put down their swords and open the doors to reconciliation and healing in order to support and work with the flag bearer, Obong Akan Udofia, in winning the governorship elections in 2023.

"The best chance for the APC to win the elections in Akwa Ibom State is right now. We must accept the people's and party's choices as sacred mandates that should be allowed to rule the day," he said

This is the highest price we can pay in terms of respect and dedication to the development of our democracy."