Andre Onana Breaks Silence On His High-profile Errors In Manchester United [Full Details]

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Embattled Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana has broken his silence on his difficult start to life at Old Trafford.

Andre Onana's performance since joining Manchester United for £42.5m from Inter Milan last summer has been one of the reasons some United fans are skeptical of Erik ten Hag as United manager.

images (29) (11).jpeg
Sergio Reguilon trying to assist Onana after he went down following a bizzare error that saw United concede against Bayern in Champions League
Image Credit: Getty Images

Ten Hag oversaw the unceremonious exit of club legend and former goalkeeper David de Gea as he deemed the Spaniard unfit for his style of play.

Having worked with Andre Onana at Ajax in 2021/22 season, the former AJax boss primed the Cameroonian shotstopper as a perfect replacement for de Gea.

He splashed £42.5m on the 2022/23 Champions league finalist for a five-year contract.

Since taking over the number one spot as new Man United goalkeeper, Onana's benchmarks in-between the sticks for United have left much to be desired with some United fans already nostalgic of David de Gea's heroics that saw the Spaniard bagged the Golden Glove last season.

images (29) (10).jpeg

Andre Onana have started all Manchester United Premier League and Champions League games. For the first time, Manchester United became the first English club to concede 15 goals in the group stage of Champions League.

Onana conceded 7 goals in Manchester United first two Champions League goals, including a costly goalkeeping blunder which saw Hakim Ziyech struck twice via a freekick for Galatasaray away in Turkey.

The Cameroonian has been blamed partly for Man United premature exit from UEFA Champions League after finishing bottom of the group with just four points.

The story is not different in the Premier League. Manchester United is the only club in the top 10 on Premier League table with a negative goal difference. While United's attackers have struggled in front of goals, Onana has been partly blamed for gross blunders that has seen the team concede with ease against opponents.

In 28 games across all competitions, Andre Onana has managed just 8 cleansheets.

Andre Onana reacts to his difficult start to the season

As expected, Man United legends and pundits have frequently criticised Onana for his schoolboy goalkeeping that has compounded the club's woes.

But it appears the former Inter Milan goalie is unmoved by the criticisms while hoping to adapt to the Premier League.

Speaking to Sky Sport, Andre Onana said;

"Mistakes are part of learning,” he started.

“We know that people expect a lot from me and that's why they criticise me so much. But for me it's not a problem, I'm used to it. The same thing also happened at Inter: at the beginning they criticised me, but look how it ended,"

Andre Onana has been included in Cameroon AFCON squad but will feature for Manchester United in FA Cup third round clash against Fulham on Sunday, December 7, 2024 before joining up with the squad.

His backup goalkeeper and summer signing from Fenerbahce Altay Bayindir is expected to stand in. There are projections should Bayindir impressed on his shift, Andre Onana may lost his starting role and may struggle to regain it on AFCON return.