Andre Onana Hit Back At Critics After Missing Cameroon's First Game In AFCON

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Andre Onana has hit back at his critics after missing Cameroon's first game in AFCON following a late arrival to the team training camp.

The former Ajax also admitted that he has a lot to say about missing out on the starting lineup due to a late exit from Manchester United.

What happened to Andre Onana?

The 27-year-old missed Cameroon's opening game of the tournament in the Ivory Coast on Monday, January 15, after he was permitted to stay at Manchester United and play in their 2-2 draw against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, January 14.

The goalkeeper flew by private jet overnight to the Ivory Coast after the match at Old Trafford but only arrived hours before the kick-off of the Group C contest against Guinea, in which Cameroon came from behind to secure a 1-1 draw.

The permission to allow the 27-year-old to miss the opening match of the tournament caused debate among Cameroon fans.

In an interview after arriving in Ivory Coast, Onana spoke to reporters of the tough tug of loyalty between club and country, especially for African internationals forced to leave their European clubs mid-season to compete at the Nations Cup.

He said; "It's like choosing between my father and my mother, but my country comes first, that's why I'm here".

The former Ajax player added; "Let people continue to criticise me. I'm used to it. I do what is good for my country".

Andre Onana has an eventful history with Cameroon after breaking into the national team while still a teenager at Ajax Amsterdam.

However, he declined a call-up to the 2017 Nations Cup finals, which Cameroon went on to win, and during the last World Cup in Qatar, he was sent home after one match following a bust-up with head coach Rigobert Song, which has since been settled.

Meanwhile, he did play at the last edition of the Cup of Nations two years ago, just months after returning from a long doping suspension.

What's next for Andre Onana?

The 27-year-old goalkeeper is likely to be included in Cameroon's lineup for Friday's, January 19 Africa Cup of Nations group match against defending champions Senegal after returning to training with the team on Wednesday, January 17.