Angel Di Maria Reveals Retirement Plan After 2024 Copa America

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Angel Di Maria has announced that he will call it quits on international football with the Argentina national team after the 2024 Copa America.

The former Real Madrid forward posted a statement on his social media page to announce his intentions.

The 35-year-old icon assisted Argentina in lifting the FIFA World Cup in Qatar last year after his nation's narrow 4-2 victory on penalties against France at the end of an impressive final.Screenshot_2023_1124_101619.png

The former Manchester United player took to his Instagram page on Thursday, November 23, to confirm that he would hang his boots in 2024 after featuring for Argentina in their 1-0 victory over arch-rivals Brazil

He wrote; "The Copa America will be the last time I wear the Argentine shirt, with all the pain of the soul and feeling a lump in my throat I say goodbye to the most beautiful thing that happened to me in my career, dress it, sweat it and FEEL it with all my pride".

He added; "Thank you fans, thank you family, friends, and teammates, we will keep making history and that will remain for eternity. Go Argentina!".

Angel Di Maria made his international debut for Argentina in 2008 and has gone on to win several major trophies with La Albiceleste.

He has also won over 100 caps for the national team but will be able to say goodbye after the summer tournament in the United States.

The former Real Madrid player, 35, has made a total number of 136 appearances with Argentina, scoring 29 goals and bagging the FIFA World Cup, Copa American, and Olympic gold medals along the way.

Di Maria will be looking forward to signing off on a high note by helping Argentina to more Copa America honors following their success in 2021.

The forward has played a crucial part in Argentina's success throughout his outstanding career and has demonstrated to be the man for the big occasion.

Di Maria scored in the Olympic final in 2008, the Copa America final in 2021, and the World Cup final in 2022, which made manager Lionel Scaloni say the 35-year-old has the right to the same praise as Lionel Messi, Diego Maradona, and Mario Kempes.Screenshot_2023_1124_101735.png

The former Manchester United forward, who returned to Portuguese club side Benfica in the summer as a free agent and signed a one-year deal with the club, did not mention that he would be departing from club football any time soon.

In his first nine outings since his return to the Portuguese outfit, the forward has scored five goals, with his club top of the table in Portugal.

However, the Angel Di Maria final World Cup qualifier with Argentina was stained by violence and commotion in Brazil as fans started fighting with each other during the national anthems.

What's next for Angel Di Maria?Screenshot_2023_1124_101645.png
Di Maria will spend the rest of the season with Benfica after returning to the Portuguese side for the second time in his career last summer.

In addition, the 35-year-old will be in action for the Portuguese side on Saturday, November 25, when Benfica will lock horns against Famalicao.