Angel Di Maria Snubs Former Real Madrid Teammate Cristiano Ronaldo In His Best XI

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Angel Di Maria has snubbed Cristiano Ronaldo in his best XI, despite playing with the Portuguese at Real Madrid.

The Argentine international excluded Ronaldo from the first eleven of the best players he has ever played with.

Di Maria is edging closer to the end of his international career, as he intends to call it time on his days with Argentina after the Copa America in the summer of 2024.

Angel Di Maria is currently in the twilight of his career, and the Benfica midfielder has been asked to name some of the best players he has played with.

The 2022 FIFA World Cup winner made his pick during an interview by Spanish media outlet MARCA.

Di Maria chose international teammate and Aston Villa shot-stopper Emi Martinez in goal ahead of Iker Casillas and David De Gea, who he played alongside at Real Madrid and Manchester United respectively.

Martinez will likely be fondly remembered for his last-gasp save to deny Randal Kolo Muani from scoring a late winner for France during the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

This save aided Le Albiceleste in ending the game 3-3, before ultimately securing victory during the shootout.

On the defensive side of things, Angel Di Maria went for Sergio Ramos at center back, alongside Nicolas Otamendi, who he has played with at Argentina and Benfica.

Di Maria opted not to select a right-back restricting himself to only 10 players, and this is due to the herculean parameter he uses in basing his judgment.

Angel Di Maria included Antonio Valencia, Alvaro Arbeloa, and Pablo Zabaleta among others.

However, he was delighted to have the “incredible” Marcelo from Real Madrid as his left-back.

In midfield, the former Juventus forward chose Javier Mascherano alongside Rui Costa, who was at the culminating stage of his career when Di Maria moved to the club.

Despite not including Cristiano Ronaldo, Angel Di Maria's side included mega names, notably; Lionel Messi, Neymar, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and Kylian Mbappe.

His threatening attacking setup includes players, who have scored nearly 2,200 between them.

Angel Di Maria stressed that he has had the pleasure of playing with many excellent players in his career and he could even select two all-star teams.

He said: “I had the opportunity to play with so many and have that privilege that sometimes if they don't ask me a question like that I don't start thinking about who I played with and the truth is that it is crazy if I have to put myself together. I could easily put together two all-star teams”.

Angel Di Maria as aforementioned currently plays for Benfica and he joined the club on a free transfer on July 5, 2023, making a sensational return to the team 16 years after exiting the side to join Real Madrid.

He has made 27 appearances for the Portuguese club this campaign, scoring 11 goals and providing 5 assists in all competitions.

Angel Di Maria's Dream team

GK: Emiliano Martinez

RB: Nobody

Center Backs: Sergio Ramos, Nicolas Otamendi

LB: Marcelo

Central Midfielders: Javier Mascherano, Rui Costa: Lionel Messi, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Neymar, Kylian Mbappe