APC: Why i refused to step down for anyone - Yahaya Bello

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
Apr 29, 2022
images (6).jpeg

Yahaya Bello, the governor of Kogi State and a candidate for the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential ticket, has stated that he revolted against his northern counterparts because they attempted to silence the people's voice.

After meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa yesterday, he told State House media about it.

Insisting that the party could only stay in power if the norms of engagement were adhered to, bello explained. Some of my colleagues, led by the self-proclaimed leader of them, ganged up to suppress the voice of the people, the voice of over 26 million Nigerians, the voice of women, the voice of people living with special needs, the voice of the choice of the people.

Bello stated in response to a viral video of him storming out of a meeting of the 14 northern governors where they resolved to zone the presidential ticket to the south.

So that's what I revolted against, and I'm still the front-runner in this general election. I made the decision to leave the meeting where such a concoction was taking place.

That's exactly what happened. Out of respect for the elders, Bello expressed confidence in his ability to win the primaries, saying he would not reveal anyone's name.

Watch the moment he walked out of the room:

The governor claimed that he was not consulted by his colleagues before they decided to back a southern presidential candidate, reiterating his opposition to presidential rotation.

No one contacted me before they made their decision, and I'd rather say they were railroaded by some forces who desperately want to be Vice President at all costs. The subject of a turn-by-turn presidency is one that I continue to reject because the insecurity that we confront today does not respect a turn-by-turn presidency; insecurity exists in every section of the country.

Every area of this country wants wealth, and despite the apparent or real discord that exists in Nigeria today, we want unity in this country, and that is precisely what I stand for.

Bello said he would only resign if the President asked him to, but that any attempt to block him from voting in the primaries would be an invitation to turmoil inside the APC.

"I'm extremely optimistic that APC will return to power if we play by the rules of the game," the Kogi governor remarked when asked about the ruling party's chances of maintaining power after the 2023 general elections.

Follow all the laws; non-exclusion of everyone who wants to join; bringing everyone along; and guaranteeing that there is fairness, equity, and justice, he replied when asked to define the requirements.